Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How to choose a bicycle ?
Hello, everybody,

I am new here. My mother language is French but I learn English.

I have no bicycle. But I would like to get one. It is faster thank walking and cleaner than cars. Now I use my feet and the public transports.

How to choose/observe a bicycle when you are in a bicycles shop ? What are the most important points ?

I am interested in bicycle to use it daily in the city. Not for speed race. I often have one or two bags with me (one for laptop), sometimes three when I buy food or books. Possibly I would like to use in even in winter, when it rains, when it snows, in fog.

I think a bicycle is certainly easier to be repared than a car, and the car is heavy (when you have an accident). Another idea is to repare it when it is partially broken. ["You break you repare." not "You break you pay."]

The main idea stays to live without car.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Create hazard. Create freedom.
The main thing I look for is one that I like, I am still riding a bike I got almost 30 years ago.
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
Try and test ride the bike if the shop(s) will let you, you will quickly realize they can feel completely different from one another. See which ones feel good for you. Oh and haggle for free accessories with the bike Wink
My advice for novices:

1. decide on your maximum budget; tell the shops that you visit that your budget is 2/3 of your actual budget.
2. visit as many bicycle shops as you can that are within a reasonable distance of your residence and place of work.
3. pick the two shops that you feel the most comfortable and trusting of.
4. explain to the people at each shop what you want, and test ride as many bicycles as they suggest might meet your desires.
5. purchase what you like.

Notes:
* Brand of bicycle is of minor importance.
* the shop is the most important thing for a novice.
Nigel
This was very helpful for my son who wants a new bike (currently riding an older one of his Dad's). We have several shops near us, so he can try before he buys. He doesn't have a brand preference, so really has not easy way to narrow the field except to try them. If there are any you would avoid, that would be good to know. I have an older Motobecane, and have not kept up to date, so I can't really help with his decision. Thanks!
(06-17-2022, 10:33 AM)nancyk Wrote:  This was very helpful for my son who wants a new bike (currently riding an older one of his Dad's). We have several shops near us, so he can try before he buys. He doesn't have a brand preference, so really has not easy way to narrow the field except to try them. If there are any you would avoid, that would be good to know. I have an older Motobecane, and have not kept up to date, so I can't really help with his decision. Thanks!

Bike shops will tend to have the best brands, as well as the better support after the sale. Determine the style bike (road, mountain, tri, gravel, hybrid, cruiser, etc.) he's looking for and get a fit for that specific style of bike (don't get a size fit for a road bike and then buy a mountain bike). Get recommendations and reviews from several bike shops and also research those same bikes (brand and model) online from pro reviewers, as well as from owners. That should, in most cases, give you enough information to make an educated buying decision. It will also help if you want to find something used online instead of buying new. Always try to take a test ride (preferrably an hour to hours long on the same terrain(s) it will be used on), and determine return policy before purchase.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Shop online for the best price. Shop local bike shop for the best selection and ability to special order.

What it sounds you're looking for is a hybrid bike. These are a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike—intended mostly as an urban bike that offers the best of both worlds for urban travel.

You should be able to ride yours stock without having to change much of anything, especially if you get a GT brand one (branded as Transeo). They come very well-equipped with great schematics for diverse needs and utility. Only thing you might need to invest in is a mounted rack or a basket. This can help carry goods while you're cycling.

Mongoose also released a gravel bike recently, named the Grit, which might be a considerable option for your needs. It's more of a road style bike with drop bars, but also 700c tires like GT hybrids have. And then there's the Elroy (already equipped with a bag and rack) for about twice the price.
(06-17-2022, 10:33 AM)nancyk Wrote:  This was very helpful for my son who wants a new bike (currently riding an older one of his Dad's). We have several shops near us, so he can try before he buys. He doesn't have a brand preference, so really has not easy way to narrow the field except to try them. If there are any you would avoid, that would be good to know. I have an older Motobecane, and have not kept up to date, so I can't really help with his decision. Thanks!

You need to provide some idea of where and how your son intends ride the bike.
One comment said "it sounds (like what) you're looking for is a hybrid bike". Not sure how this was determined since you never stated: 1) that you would be using the bike, or 2) what type of bike your son wants.
I wish I could read your mind like the previous commenter, but I cannot. Please provide some more info as to what your son wants and then we can provide more specific input as to might be a good bike style for him.
I would personally buy at a shop unless you are well enough versed in bicycles to where you feel confident purchasing one online. For all the online bike purchase problems I seem to hear about it makes more sense to buy local and support your local economy, as well as having service support for your purchase. If you can find what you want online then by all means go for it, but realize that you'll probably be in a bike shop shortly thereafter either for assembly, adjustments, or supplies/accessories.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard

Possibly Related Threads...