Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Locating a Child's with 10inch wheels.
Hey all I have been running into problems trying to locate a bicycle with 10 inch wheels. This bike is for a project for Mason my son. The 12.5 inch is way too high for him and I am not going to spend the big money for a balance being he will probably only use for a couple months. Instead I read an article on how to temporarily make one from a 10 inch wheel bike by removing the crank assembly and chain. Please throw a link in this thread if you know of a place that sells them. Would rather buy something he could use longer then a couple months. Thanks.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
what kind of standover hieght from top of seat to ground do you need. I have a Pinnacle that would be about 17 1/4. if that works you could have it. All there but handle bars
it is 12in. tires though, but seems dinky to me
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
here Bill, sorry for the dust but should get the idea. been in the attic for years.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
My eyes hurt.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Too much brewski RobAR :-))) Happy New Year to all......

Man some tires on that bike . Looks like the seat can be lowered to 17 inches...........Maybe a bit more.
Never Give Up!!!
I almost caught my house on fire with that shot! Like a laser beaming off my head. Smile
lmao @ laser beam and hilights in a pic Big Grin . Anyways I will get that asap, right now they are off going somewhere (shopping) and I am getting ready to go to work for a few hours. BTW TYTYTYTYTY!!!!!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
You know I was thinking something per say his legs don't reach the pedals. Is there any way to make the pedals reach him?
(12-31-2012, 11:33 PM)Bill Wrote:  You know I was thinking something per say his legs don't reach the pedals. Is there any way to make the pedals reach him?

Pedal blocks?
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Yea those are what I was thinking about. Had a brain fart I guess lol.
@pk he is exactly 32" high. His measurement from barefoot up to pelvic area is 12"! Now I was wandering how far does the seat go down? KC-Steve and I went over this and I can not find the bike fitting chart I had saved.
Never mind the pelvic to barefoot comment the "inseam" is 12".
Little kid bikes like these are generally pretty overbuilt. Given the size of the dropouts, you may be able to do a bit of creative cutting/filing and make the rear (or both) wheels sit a half inch or more higher. I did some mods like this to a 12.5" bike I converted to a push bike. There is also some variation in the profile of tires. You may find some 12.5s that sit a bit lower than others.

I also had to do a bit of grinding to get rid of sharp points in the crank area to avoid cutting up his legs. Little kids take a while to develop a good sense to keep their feet out away from the frame/rear wheel. So look carefully at places where they could wedge a foot or gouge up their legs. But overall, the conversion worked out really well. Push bikes are a much better first step than training wheels.