Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

70s-80s Raleigh Connoisseur chain query
I've acquired a 3-speed Raleigh Connoisseur which is ridable, though the SA dynohub stopped working after I'd been riding it for about a week. As I already have two other bikes, I decided to slowly dismantle the Connoisseur in order to a) clean it and b) teach myself to dismantle/rebuild the creature with a view to restoring other similar bikes in future - something I've been interested in doing for years.

At the moment I want to take off the back wheel, which would appear to involve taking off the chain, and which I'm not sure how to do. I've had limited success in finding out online - I'm led to believe that the chain would be 1/2"x1/8" with a master link with a side place that I should be able to remove - the problem being that I can't find such a thing, and wonder if this is indeed what I have.

I guess I could manhandle the wheel off by hook or by crook with spanners, WD40 and brute force, but would prefer a more mindful and understanding solution!

Any advice would most gratefully be appreciated.

Dafydd
Not sure I understand the issue. No wrangling needed and chain does not need to be opened. Just loosen axle nuts slide the wheel out and this will give you plenty of slack to take the chain off the rear sprocket.
Ye pre spray nuts with wd40 night before. Liquid wrench works better . There are better products but these will do most jobs.
Never Give Up!!!
Ah, that's pretty reasssuring to know that's all I need to do. I guess the issue is my ignorance and lack of confidence. And another question which I feel a bit foolish asking, but would you turn the bike upside-down to do this, or does it not matter much?

(11-04-2012, 03:36 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Not sure I understand the issue. No wrangling needed and chain does not need to be opened. Just loosen axle nuts slide the wheel out and this will give you plenty of slack to take the chain off the rear sprocket.
Ye pre spray nuts with wd40 night before. Liquid wrench works better . There are better products but these will do most jobs.
Yes turning it upside down is good way, do not set it on levers. If needed use blocks under the handlebar.

There are DIY bike repair stands or store ones. I hang my bike from rafters in the garage, and have a mechanics rolling stool. But setting it upside down is a good way to work on wheels.
Never Give Up!!!