Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

ZULIANI Oria 'helical' tubing 80s
I am aware of the racer Aldo Zuliani (1929-2011), but I have no idea if this brand has anything to do with him being directly involved with the brand, other family tie-ins, or just a tribute to him. Who knows; I have never seen another frame of this brand nor even a pantographed component.

I don't know if the paint is original so the "ML 25" "3 TUBI" Oria decal may not be original. I have seen other frames with this style of helically grooved tubing (Conti, and Ciöcc), but no direct reference to the "ML 25" tubeset having helical grooves. I only have a couple other Oria tubeset frames, and of those only one has shaped tubing (late 80s Moser Leader SC with somewhat 'octagonally' cross-sectional shaped tubing- very lightweight that I believe is the "GM 0.0" tubing). Seat post is 27.2mm, 126mm rear fork; Gipiemme drop-outs.

After some research I found that Aldo Zuliani rode for Faggin in 1951; specifically recruited by the company before he went professional in 1952. That might mean that Faggin produced the frame, but I have no evidence that they used Oria tubes for their frames. It's possible that Faggin used Oria tubes for frames not bearing their name, but that is pure speculation. I'll try to see if they used Oria for any of their contract frames. Again, there may be no connection to Aldo Zuliani or Faggin regarding this frame.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
nice details
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Sorry, I had neglected to mention that there are 8 grooves (I first thought 6 grooves before closer inspection).

After some more research I found a couple other racers with the Zuliani surname which may or may not have some connection to this frame. Aldo (born in and raced for Italy) raced in '52-'56; Mario (another Italian by birth, but road as French; '56-'58), and Marcel (French; '53). Also, I found an Italian ladies team using the Zuliani name. I contacted them, but no reply as to where they took their name from.
Take care,
Jesper

That is a very interesting frame. I never saw that style, nor heard the name. I still have a couple folks I talk with in Italy so I will pass your information and images to them to see if they can provide some insight.
I have a frame that is grooved, but only 6 grooves and straight vice spiral, that I cannot find information on. It would be similar to the Columbus tubes used by Colnago, but I don't know if my frame is made with Columbus tubes. Columbus possibly licensed that tubing design to another tubing manufacturer for use by other framebuilders. Frame is late 80s, maybe early 90s, lightweight, and Italian BB thread/70mm shell. I assume it was a contract build and probably sold by various companies during that time period.
I looked for the 6 groove frame, but forgot I had traded it for a late 60s-early 70s frame closer to my size. I need to check old photo files to see if I have any saved.

I do remember the grooved frame having internal cable on the top tube.
'Jake1 Wrote:I have a frame that is grooved, but only 6 grooves and straight vice spiral, that I cannot find information on. It would be similar to the Columbus tubes used by Colnago, but I don't know if my frame is made with Columbus tubes. Columbus possibly licensed that tubing design to another tubing manufacturer for use by other framebuilders. Frame is late 80s, maybe early 90s, lightweight, and Italian BB thread/70mm shell. I assume it was a contract build and probably sold by various companies during that time period.

Your grooved frame sounds suspiously like my Coppi frame. Please take a look at this thread (https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-7318.html?highlight=Coppi) and let me know what you think. I know my frame is a contract build after seeing a couple other versions that matched the frame except for the pantographed fork crown.
Hope you find some photos? You didn't mention a brand; any decals or was it a repaint?

Another note about these grooved frames that I found through research is that Falck made a tubing style like that, but I'm not sure if that is what mine has. Here is a Cornelo with that tubing showing a Columbus decal, as well as a couple other frame examples (Cramerotti, another Coppi, et al.) (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1167545-show-your-crimped-wheat-leaf-other-unusual-frame-colnagos-need-not-apply.html).

I suspect that most or all of these various marques using that tubing were contract builds, and probably only used Columbus tubes for the 3 main tubes except on the highest quality frames and maybe using Columbus forks as well.
Take care,
Jesper

@Jake1 I have a Bandiziol frame that also utilzes internal routing. It is near identical to the Coppi grooved frame. It may be that the Coppi is a year or 2 earlier. I don't believe that tubing was available before 1986; Colnago only used it circa 86-88.
Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post