Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Finally A Geat 29" MTB From Wally World!
[attachment=3529][attachment=3530]

A lot of people "Hate It or Love It" when it comes to Wal-Mart Bicycles. For me it is 50/50 depending on the Bike. I purchase a 29" Genesis 7 Speed Beach Cruiser, and had it tuned up first thing. However I soon discovered this Bike had a mind set set to self distruct no matter how well I took care of it and maintained it. Finally enough was enough! I took it back to the Store Manager and had a long talk with him about it. He let me upgrade at their expense to a more expensive 29" Genesis "Twenty-Nine" Mountain Bike, and even let me swap out the padded bicycle seat. Again, I had it tuned up along with adding accessories, and fenders. Me and this bicycle have a good feeling toward each other. I keep it in my garage, with two sets of Kryptonite lockes, well maintained weekly, and a wipe down with ArmorAll Ultra Shine Wipes. Even though it is off the rack and made in China. It performs just as well as the $1,000.00+ Bikes. Just remember, they do come with a warranty. If you don't like it, or feel comfortable with it. Don't be afraid to take it back, and get one that you do like. The main thing is keeping it tuned up, and spend a few minutes checking the air pressure in your tires, brakes, and chain. That is more than half the battle there for a long useful Bike Life to enjoy!
You say it performs as well as the $1000 bikes but how do you know that? It does not appear like you are doing any mountain biking (trail riding) with it. If you are just riding it around town back and forth then your statement needs some revisiting. It probably is pretty good at that type of usage. And congratulations on taking very good care of your bike. That always helps.
Sounds like you got a decent bike Smile . Nice with all the extras Wink .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(09-25-2012, 03:34 PM)RBurrelli Wrote:  You say it performs as well as the $1000 bikes but how do you know that? It does not appear like you are doing any mountain biking (trail riding) with it. If you are just riding it around town back and forth then your statement needs some revisiting. It probably is pretty good at that type of usage. And congratulations on taking very good care of your bike. That always helps.

Yes, I have used the expensive bicycles as well in the past before arthritis took that pleasure away. Even though I now wear onloading knee braces on both knees, I sadly pretty much have to stick to the road for the most part. However I have let my friends borrow it to use on a family outing several times, and they were very happy with it's performance on the trails. Again, it is all a matter of proper maintenance, and care no matter how much you spend on a bicycle.
(09-25-2012, 03:35 PM)Bill Wrote:  Sounds like you got a decent bike Smile . Nice with all the extras Wink .
Thank you for the kind words. It feels great to get out there and ride a bicycle again. Having severe arthritis in both kness made it impossible. However, now that I am fitted with onloading knee braces for both knees. I can ride all day with very little pain medication. No bone on bone grinding! It's great to be outside and independent.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Painkiller