Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Blue plastic bar tape ?
I have aquired a 1973 Schwinn Varsity Youth model with the 24" wheels. Rare bird, huh? This baby has very minimal rust and all original components right down to the tires. Of course, new rubber is planned in this restoration project but everything else I intend to stay true.

Does anyone have a lead on finding that thin, plastic bar tape that Schwinn used back then? In Varsity Sky Blue? Among my LBS distributors I am limited to Black or Black. I have checked places like Loose Screws and scoured eBay with no luck. Even a phone call to my areas Schwinn sales rep in St Louis went dry. It has to be out there, somewhere!
I can find the same blue in a cork tape but, for those of you in the know, it can interfere with the Suicide Levers because of the small space between the bar and the lever above the pivot.

The tape on there now is not in bad shape except for being brittle from age, as plastic tends to do. It's a bit of road rash on the right side in the drop that has me searching.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
will these be good enough
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHWINN-HANDLE-BAR-TAPE-BLUE-CUSHONED-SUEDE-2-ROLL-NOS-/120737132705?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1c7e70a1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hunt-Wilde-Handle-Bar-Tape-Wrap-Electric-Blue-Schwinn-NOS-bike-flexor-/300779625681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4607dcdcd1
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-Opaque-Blue-Road-Bike-Handlebar-Tape-/110939385977?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d480b079
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-PAIR-BENOTTO-ROAD-BIKE-HANDLEBAR-VINYL-BAR-TAPE-BLUE-/350600149025?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a165b821
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I tried to look for a few but no results. Sad. This a rare find as I thought 24" we're a thing of the late 90's. I stand corrected. Awesome specimen !
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thx for the help, PK! Problem is - I bought a pair of original branded rolls on the bay and they were crispy like old plastic gets. Overpriced and probably better suited for a LBS movie prop set in the early '70s. Sad
I'm very leary of those, now. There are still mfr's that make that style 'cheap' tape. I just can't find a distributor that offers that color.

Hey Bill! I'll have to post up some pics of the restoration for my BT pals, huh? From what I understand, the 24" models had to be ordered in advance of production much like what we call a Pre-season order today. What a LBS ordered, they got. There were no more made after the production run for that year was complete. Adding to the rarity is that (some) kids (like me) can tear up an anvil. This one just happens to be in primo shape and I can't believe it.
It will probably be Nov or Dec before I get to dig into it but, I promise to post pics.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Bill