Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What tool removes this?
This is the BB of my schwin varsity. I'm learning how to remove and regrease the crank bearings. So I've got the crank puller and the head/crank wrench, but clearly there is a tool that fits inside the this "crown" and removes it to get at the bearings. What is that tool?

In the mean time I was able to engage it by opening a pair of needle nose pliers very wide on the inside of the flange with the teeth.

Fun stuff.
looks like a standard cartridge Bottom bracket removal tool/socket
non service, just replace with new of same shell and spindle length
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product2_10053_10052_183856_-1
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product2_10053_10052_183856_-1
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Painkiller
Hey, thanks so much. This bike only has about 300 miles on it. Do I really need to replace the crowns and the spindle? I'm doing the bearing thing because I've got a "clunk" that can only be coming from the crank and cleaning and repacking the bearings seemed to do the trick.

Thanks again.
Prof Young
I would take it out, make sure there is no debris in the shell and lube the whole inside of the shell. then re-install
some cheaper bb have been know to fail premature or have flex. if this does not work replace it.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks Painkiller, that's what I did. The bb were in good shape. After reassembly the "clunck" was gone. I think maybe it was a lack of lubrication. Lots to learn here.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
you are very welcome my friend, glad it worked out.

what you have experienced with this bicycle is a classic case of improper assembly. this is why i feel for the 30 bikes a day guy and the people that purchased the bikes set up in this fashion. I do not know what people might do with their bike but I know what I might do with mine and would rather not die or get hurt because my bike failed because of ignorance or an inferior product.

I have assembled a bike or three in my day and all have been name brand. I have learned never trust the parts that appear to be partially assembled out of the box. you must go through the entire bicycle to make sure everything is tight, true, and greased properly and never assume that it is. that means take off the brakes from the posts and make sure they have grease they may not come that way or have been missed at the factory. I treat an assembly out of the box much like a complete tear down and rebuild. Check dish on the bike, true the wheels check every nut, bolt, and screw etc

with that said, do the same with your bike right now and every bike from now on that you would trust a life on. I send every bike out the door race ready so to speak because of what I do with a bike so I know I have done my job to keep the wheels spinning and hearts pounding
Hey pk,
Will he need to turn this clock wise or counter clockwise when he removes it? Many don't take that into consideration when they never removed the bb before Wink .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!