Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

My new Bike Partner Mason!
Hello all,
I have an incredible story to tell and share! Through my posts I hinted on a newborn son that was present and the main and only reasoning of letting Zadey go. This little guy went through hell making it as a three month earlier premature baby. Most people know that chances in this stage are not good. After sometime in NICU and a great staff there, he got to come home with super special care. We took great care of him and of course spoiled him lol. He is doing well and riding along with us on a bike. He loves to turn a wheel just to see what it does and how it works, open a cupboard door and close not really caring whats inside, and smiles alot!
Really hope you all do not mind but I will post a couple pictures here of how he is adapting to growing up...

Monday July 30,2012..
Mason riding on the baby seat fitted Diamondback Outlook...
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
That brings a huge smile to me face. Thanks Bill.
That is very cool Bill! I send up a prayer for Mason and Mom & Dad.
By the way, that helmet is stylized after the uniform worn by Evel Knievel. What are you thinkig??
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
@RB Your welcome Smile.

@Rob Thank you. Lol at the Knievel, well Mason is walking alot now and runs into things. Very daring kid. That's the only helmet that would fit him at the time. Big Grin .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Congratulations and best wishes to the whole family! Enjoy the riding! (I know you will...)
Three cheers for our new cyclist!
Thank you Joe from all of us Smile
A heart touching story, awesome! he looks like he loves it. they grow up in a blink of an eye. Life truly is a ride!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
That is very true! Thank you. I am trying to figure out what size/what type bike to get him started off on. 3 wheels (like a big wheel) or smallest bike made. Also I saw this article and a video on a "walking bike", but I can not find it in search engines. Sad . Any ideas?
Very cool, I see a lot of passengers on the LA CA bike path. Some trailers which I think are the safest, and some new handlebar mounted seats. Not sure how safe these are but at least the kid sees where he is going. :-)
Never Give Up!!!
You know George I do have a trailer I have not even tried yet. I'll give it a whirl see if he likes that any better. Yet I think he has gotten used to the idea of being "Evil Knievel" on the back lol Wink.
Trailers are great, I can offer some anecdotal evidence on them: My godsdaughter (correct term? I'm her godfather, so...?) absolutely loves riding in the trailer. She has some books in there to look at but sometimes she's just sitting there and sings (for an hour or so... quite some endurance). She now prefers riding herself, especially downhill... my mate (her father) does raise her in a good way...
So: go give the trailer a spin! All kids I know love them (also my coach's daughter, and my youngest niece and....)

The walking bikes are very popular here (even found the English version)
http://www.puky.net/en/mod_produkte_produkt/kategorie/laufrad_lr_m/produkt/Laufrad_LR_M_oceanblue/index.html

(maybe the brandname Puky is a good start)
my godsdaughter's brother enjoys his (well, his sister's old one).
There ya go Joe, that is what I was looking for. Still have to try out the trailer yet Smile .
Few weeks ago I did try him out in the trailer and he actually loved it. I took the flap and left it open so as KC-Steve said I think in an older post to see 360degrees. Well a little more then usual lol. At first he did not like the 5point harness but succumbed to it. We just needed to be in motion lol. Have to say definitely a noticeable difference in drag until the inertia is up Smile . No pictures on that but got one more recent when I was practicing my wheel building techniques, seems Mason is gonna be a heckuva bicycle mechanic Wink.
C'mon Bill, spill it. Who did the Gt Build? you or Mason Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(10-13-2012, 12:21 PM)painkiller Wrote:  C'mon Bill, spill it. Who did the Gt Build? you or Mason Smile

Lol Mason actually was in the shop a couple times giving a hand Wink . Guess I did the supervision part Tongue .
Look how that boy is studying that wheel. Info processed at that age is Very relevant to future interests and skills. See where we are going? Mason & Bill's Custom Wheels. It rhymes, too! Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Yea I like that idea Smile. Or Dad and MaSons Bike Shop! Wink
Absolutely beautiful boy, brings several tears to my eyes. As someone above said, you are raising him in a good way. The freedom, responsibility, power, and excitement, and the endless adventure of cycling, not to mention the feeling of prowess that it instills, is something he will grow up feeling in his very core. Good on ya.
Hello all!!! Sorry I went quiet so long, really have not been repairing bikes as much as I used too. I have been riding them more though. If I am not working I am putting time into the family. Wife don't ride nearly at all, three older kids are too "cool" for bicycles. Oh well, however Mason has just this past week started riding and pedaling his 12" bike with training wheels. Until I can get the video up here, I'll share a couple other pictures of how we still rode bikes together....
Btw I am on the 3wheel Meridian.
Glad everything is going well for you and your little buddy! Daddy can I have the car keys? Thats just part of life sometimes, none of my kids ended up being avid cyclist. They just want one ready for when they do hop on. Smile