Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Clicking noise while pedaling (video)
I'm sorry i'm not expert at all with bicycles so i will try to explain simply

I have got a new bicycle..it has this system, where you pedal in the opposite directions in order to apply brakes..and there's one switch for speeds..it goes from 1 to 7

i noticed that while pedaling there's a clicking noise..only with pedaling..if the wheels are rotating without pedaling there's no sound..it's also more obvious with higher speeds..from 5 to 7...i tried to notice where exactly this voice is coming from..i investigated both gears and i cant see anything..i cannot even decide where exactly it is coming from..and here's a video

Video for the sound

and here's a photo for the switch of speeds..i don't know what's the function of this screw i'm holding..but i can rotate it inwards or outwards.

[Image: 03082012151.jpg]

Thanks for your help
anything i should make clearer?
The "screw" is called a barrel adjuster. It is used for fine tuning cable tension on your rear derailleur since this appears to be on the right side on the handlebars. This might be the problem, but if you can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from, then it could be from many different locations on the bike.

Hard for anyone to diagnose or suggest anything based upon what you have given us.
It's MOST LIKELY one of two things:

1) This is more likely than the other- Your derailleur is trying to jump gears as it pedals. This is common with rear derailleurs if the adjustment's a little off. Often it can happen after replacing a wheel or fixing a flat. This can be fixed by adjusting the tension on the cable, and usually by adjusting the derailleur screws. You might even just need to adjust the tension via the knob (the one in your picture). This should be a fairly easy fix.

2) The second possibility is supposed to be less likely but it has happened to me. If the freewheel/cassette has worn out the threads on either the wheel or the cassette itself, it will skip, and click. Over time, this will lead to your crank and chain rotating but your wheel won't

Since you say you have to backpedal to brake, you probably have a fixed-gear rear wheel, in which case, it's most likely option 1, with the front derailleur.
I'm pretty sure you do not have a derailleur system or a fix gear. I think what you have is a 7 speed "internal gear hub" with a coaster brake. It's important to confirm this as trying to identify the clicking is pretty hard if you don't know for sure what's on the bike. If there is just one chainring in the front and one in the rear and if you pedal backwards to brake --> I think I'm right.

If so, these hubs sometimes have a light clicking when pedaling that's normal. From the video, it sounds a bit excessively loud which could mean that the hub isn't properly lubricated. But I can't tell from a video.

First thing is to make sure the gear shifter is correctly adjusted. Figure out what model hub you have (look on the hub) and then google "how to adjust ..." It should be a very simple adjustment. If it still makes loud clicking, I would talk to the store where you bought it or someone else who can judge what is 'normal'.
On a multi-spedd bike with a freewheel the axle and hub rotate separate from eaach other. Inside of a freewheel there are parts that prevent the wheel from rotating backwards. When the wheel turn forward these parts will make a clicking sound which is normal.

Possibly Related Threads...