Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

"Are you a bike picker"?
If you like Finding deals on Bikes to keep or sell, sport them here!

Here are a couple I scooped up in Indiana this weekend. Both are upper-end from the 90s and are in great shape. Both DeoreLX equipped
The rockhopper Comp retailed for $729
The Nishiki Alien retailed for $1249
I paid $180 for both
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Ok, you make me sick. Excuse me while I go end it all. $180 gets you a polished turd here. I can't tell you how much I would enjoy either of those rides.
(07-29-2012, 09:15 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  Ok, you make me sick. Excuse me while I go end it all. $180 gets you a polished turd here. I can't tell you how much I would enjoy either of those rides.
Now do not do that, there is more to the story. the asking price for the Nishiki was $80 he said the shifters had no clicks but they were deore lx rapid fire. i am thinking thee old hardened grease thing these are known for so an easy fix for me. the kicker is for $20 more he wouuld throw in a new 9speed xtr chain and a new in box xtr rear cluster, shockkit, and a couple 8 speed triggers just have. I jumped on that deal! Now you can choke yourself a little bit. the rockhopper comp guy said it had shifter issues but cosmetically good, he was right. Not one chainslap mark on the stays and only a couple small chips. turned out to be the same problem as the Nishiki I gave him the $100
they both still need a couple things to sweeten them out but I am sure I will get my money back and a little more(as long as the family stays away)
:0
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hmmmmm, where'd I put the rat poison?
Very nice deal! Very nice bikes! Grats on the deal!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Bob, maybe I should loan you my copy of the Dale Carnagie book "How To Win Friends And Influence People". Wink
If you only knew the lust that was in my heart for an Alien back then, and in PURPLE at that, you might begin to understand! That Manitou up front only makes matters worse. AND, I have some 3D Violet candy that would look Schweeet hanging on her. Oh well... take a Ben Franklin for it?? Smile

Let's see - I have a set of Violet Ambrosio's laced to XT 737 hubs, some Violet bottle cages, a bunch of purple ano aluminum nipples and boss bolts, a set of unidentified canti-brakes that came off of a Barracuda A2Z or A2R - can't remember, some purple Onza Porcupine grips and ...
See? You like Ben? Ben likes you! Sell me that Niki! PLEASE!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Great finds!
Why is it that they make adult bikes that'll generally work for 5'9" or above, yet when you pedal these same bikes they only work for someone who is 5'4" or so?
Mate you really scored with these bikes. Very cool retro bikes. The kind of bike I couldnt afford to buy as a kid.[/i]
thanks, i really like like them both, I started out as a kid in the 70s with a Schwinn stingray 2 speed kickback with an italian leather racing saddle, no fenders and knobby tires. loved it! I would lay out our garbage cans and set up blocks and what ever boards we could find to make a ramp and get a block run and go for it! 17 galvanized cans was my record and it was just a walk in the park and a everyday thing for me and a couple buddies. used to scare my mom to death.

my first real Mountain bike was a Mongoose IBOC Pro, what a thing of beauty I would race the kids at the local Bmx dirt track with it and never lost. Soon after I started selling Mongoose and Proflex and enjoying bikes ever since. Now I just look the country over for fine specimens of the bikes that made Mountain biking what it is today.

I always liked the specialized direct drive tubing frames and forks
they have a unique twangy feel that was all there own.

when I start to make them even more pristine I will post pics along the way. I have some Nos Parts to sweeten them out, all I need is a pinch more than 24 hours in a day
I bought these two 1997 Trek Y's for a total of $250.00. The medium size alloy frame Y5 cost me $100.00 (MSRP $1299.99) in April 2011, and the large size carbon fiber Y22 was $150.00 (MSRP $2199.99) in January 2012. I have invested about $400.00 into both of them in upgrade or replacment parts, not counting tools or accessories. I also picked a large size 1998 Y3 alloy frame, 1997 Y5 alloy URT w/Fox vanilla shock, 1998 Y-Glide matrix swami wheelset, 2001 Judy SL fork w/extra seals & bushings, and probably the last complete Y-frame replacement pivot bushing set off of ebay and several Trek dealers for a total of $190.00. (MSRP $899.99, w/chromoly URT). The Y3 will be my 2012-13 winter project. Yes, I know that the suspension is outdated, and that there are ALOT of Y-frame haters out there. F*&k 'em all. How can you justify spending $2000.00 or more for a new FS bicycle with low end OEM parts? I have spent less than that much money on THREE qualiity full suspension bicycles, upgrades, and the tools to repair/rebuild them. This and all the other forums on the web have been instrumental in my education on bicycle repair and maintenance. Major Kudos to all of the members and their posts. I have learned so much from the people on this forum. Many thanks to all of you.
[attachment=3375]
[attachment=3376]

Ride on, keep on riding
Riding on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on
Ride on, gonna have myself a good time - AC/DC

Thats the stuff I am talking about! great job so far and I have enjoyed your posts so keep them coming. I never understood why some people get so bothered about what other people like to ride. If you like the Ys I say Y not
Man that graphite bike would make a great guitar. :-)

Here is my bicycle, that's me when I was young. :-)))
Never Give Up!!!
Wow, George. You're older than I thought! And how does anyone of your antiquity, I mean - Life Experience, know about graphite electric guitars ?? Are you really Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones? Wink Love ya, George!

Bob - got u PM. Licking a stamp!
Hey Barefooter! Matrix Swami rims were one heck of a bargain. I built up several sets of those and still have a pair of Ceramics under my ProFlex 856.
Personally, I didn't care for the ride of those old Y's but, they sure did look sexy in magazine ads! Remember the Y Five Oh? That is one that I would love to stable. Very cool graphics. Where is my Hawaiian shirt? Hmm
RobAR, that's very interesting, but is he gonna send us this bike or what?[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=3358]
(08-03-2012, 09:35 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  RobAR, that's very interesting, but is he gonna send us this bike or what?[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=3358]

Or what. Ben discovered electricity with a kite in an electrical storm. The pain one must endure to get his face on paper money is just not worth it these days.Smile Hey! Who has my keys?
I kinda like georges first bike! You still have that one tucked away in a museum? lol. That Nishi is pretty awesome!!!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Grabbed another project But paid to much. Kinda sympathy purchase. thank god I some odds and ends. A little weathered but no chain slap, wheels are true and no flat spots. just needs a tear down , polish and some tlc. Dunno about where you guys are from but Cannondales seem to sell around here. I picked up a m400 the other day @ around 7:30 in the morning started to polish it and sold it by 5:oo that same evening, Should have asked more.this bike here the asking price was $250 I told him I buy bikes to refurb and sell. Whats your bottom $ I asked. He replied $190. I said more than I want to spend at the moment he just posted the ad so I said let it ride a day or so, I think someone may give you that. so he asks what I am thinking, and I say around $100. he says $125 ok and I am like ok.
It will be a challenge to make $100 on this one, but someone will have a nice ride when its done for sure.
Great bikes all, some bargains. I looked for a road bike for a while but not much in my size in LA area till I found the 1985 Fuji del Rey. Turned out to be a good one. Although I spend double its purchase price setting it up. But now I have it my way. Very nice ride.

That Connondale is another steal.
Never Give Up!!!
Thanks George, I have always loved your Delray, I think I know what I will do. I am going to Deck out the RopperHopper comp, through the roof. I like that bike for fit and ride more than the others. So it gets New in box Xt rapidfire plus levers/shifter, Nos Deore Bio-pace triple, and Nos DeoreXT rear derailluer, front derailluer (open?)
The Cannondale will take over the rockhoppers DeoreLX equipment
and junk the gripshifters plus other upgrades. ++for both bikes. thats the plan so far anyway