Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Remove Forks and Handlebar Column from this old ten speed
Hi,

This is my very first post, so I apologize if it's in the wrong spot. I also apologize if this is a ridiculous question but I haven't been able to figure it out or find an answer online.

I'm trying to remove the forks and the column that the handlebars are attached to so that I can paint the frame of this bike. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to remove them, or even if it's possible. I snapped a picture so hopefully someone could recognize what I'm trying to do and offer some advice.

Thanks,

S
Did you loosen the bolt in the center of stem on top? In the center of the handlebars.There is a wedge attached to the end of that bolt that expands and locks it to the fork stem. Sometimes they stick and once the bolt is loosened you need to give the bolt a tap with a hammer to loosen it. Gently... First get the top stem with the handlebars off than the forks will slide out.
Never Give Up!!!
(07-10-2012, 01:23 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Did you loosen the bolt in the center of stem on top? In the center of the handlebars.There is a wedge attached to the end of that bolt that expands and locks it to the fork stem. Sometimes they stick and once the bolt is loosened you need to give the bolt a tap with a hammer to loosen it. Gently... First get the top stem with the handlebars off than the forks will slide out.

There was a bolt that i took out. It was about six inches long maybe but only threaded on the bottom few inches. But there is no wedge at the end of it.

S
The wedge is stuck inside and its holding the fork and the steering stem locked. Put the bolt back in (it does not need to come out ) screw it in a few turns than give it a light tap with a hammer to move the wedge inside.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_st-z.html#steerer
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...