Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Park Tool HCW-4 is truly useless!
Hey guys this tool slips on the bottom bracket lock rings on two different bikes now and is now mashed up real bad. I do not recommend this tool for removing the 30mm BB lockrings found on older bikes.

[Image: c040b98b256fecb762f3258cbd1ee892132ce8b6_800x700.jpg]
To be honest I think they're all pretty bad, the flat faces and the notches on the lock ring on the bearing cups are very thin and the spanner/wrench tends to slip off the to the side. I found you had to hold it on with one hand, while turning with the other.

The old style separate cup and axle bottom brackets were a pain to adjust and have thankfully been largely replaced with cartridge style, sealed bottom brackets which are much easier to fit and pretty good ones, like the Shimano UN-54, 55 or 72 if you can find one, are fairly cheap and seem to last really well. If you still have a separate axle and cup style BB I'd be inclined to save future hassle and replace it with a sealed unit.
Yeah I will replace with a sealed cartridge BB as soon as this cup and cone axle BB wears out (would probably never do so though!)
In my best Ebinezer Scrooge voice - "Bah. Humbug." Smile

I wouldn't be caught dead without this tool on my wall!
Think about it... How long has Park offered this tool?
Think about it... How many serviceable bikes are still out there that this tool can be used on?
If I got wind, tomorrow, that this tool was to be discontinued - I would order FOUR of them. Just to spite you! Smile
My precious HCW-4 is replaced on average, every 3 yrs. I work on a lot of old cycles and I take care of my tools.

No - it isn't built for breaking loose years of corrosion. They make big hammers for that! And torches, too. And scorcery books. Bah. Humbug.

Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Sure it's a handy thing to have, but given a choice, I'd sooner use a sealed bottom bracket and not have to use it. Smile

Also, I don't know what the prices are like in the US, but here in the UK Park Tools seem to be rather expensive for what they are and in comparison to similar tools of comparable quality from other brands.
Yeah they are expensive but I buy them because I'm not prepared to spend money experimenting on other brands of questionable quality. I want a tool that is going to work, guaranteed.

That being said I do buy some tools from http://www.superstarcomponents.com/ and I rate them highly.

It wouldn't suprise me if a good few of the other cheaper brands are as good as park tool, however like I said I prefer to play it safe and buy tools that are universally accepted to be durable and well made.

Park tool customer service is one of the best I've ever encountered. I simply sent them an email telling them that the floating tip on my crank puller fell off and they replied within an hour asking for my name and address, no questions asked. A week later I had the packet through the door all the way from the USA - simply amazing!

@RobAR I appreciate your enthusiasm for this tool however even when I've cleaned up the bottom bracket and put it all back together this tool slips when tightening up the lockring, I guess it's just my rubbish sense of balance and requires practice to use nicely.

By the way the two pins on the other end of this tool snapped off while trying to remove the faceplate of a singlespeed gear so I'm not impressed with either end of this tool!
Perhaps you need to install the crank arm so you have something to push against.

I made this one so you could loosen it before removing the arm....

[Image: dg30hl.jpg]

There is also an HCW-11 along those lines.
You can prevent this tool from slipping by using a large bolt and a fender washer to lock it into place.

Place the large bolt (I use a 15/16" x 1-1/2" bolt) through the bottom bracket shell so that the threads are sticking out the fixed cup. Place the tool onto the fixed cup. Place a large fender washer over the bolt (I use a 2" washer). Thread a nut onto the bolt and lightly finger-tighten.

This will prevent the tool from slipping off the fixed cup, allowing you to apply plenty of torque. I've used this technique with great success.

(Don't worry about damaging the race with the head of the bolt -- it's considerably stronger metal than the bolt. If you're overly-concerned, add a rubber washer to sit between the bolt head and the race.)
Here is a tool I have in my arsenal of midevil assortment for those rust demons, lol seriously it works great. Don't think there is anything heavier duty on the market yet..... http://bikesmithdesign.com/BBTool/index.html
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Not cheap, but the Hozan fixed cup tool is super durable and usually turns fixed cup removal from a general PITA to a quick, simple step.

http://www.bikesonline.com/hozan-cup-installer-tool-bottom-bracket-fixed-cup-removing-tool.htm
(12-12-2012, 03:33 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Not cheap, but the Hozan fixed cup tool is super durable and usually turns fixed cup removal from a general PITA to a quick, simple step.

http://www.bikesonline.com/hozan-cup-installer-tool-bottom-bracket-fixed-cup-removing-tool.htm

I stand corrected Dave, that thing is a beasty looking tool Smile . As you said other then the price looks pretty durable.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I had the same problem at first with that tool and others.... then i found a solution!..... I learned how to use it properly. Park tool is the Snap-On of bike tools in my opinion.
Granted Park Tools are the Snap-On of the bicycle world BUT as said sometimes one has to go further then just a spanner to remove old rusty parts!!!
(12-12-2012, 07:01 PM)Bill Wrote:  
(12-12-2012, 03:33 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Not cheap, but the Hozan fixed cup tool is super durable and usually turns fixed cup removal from a general PITA to a quick, simple step.

I stand corrected Dave, that thing is a beasty looking tool Smile . As you said other then the price looks pretty durable.

I've got one of those and have removed hundreds of rusty right hand cups with it. Ten times better than Park Tools spanner

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-13-2010, 06:21 AM
Last Post: Bill