Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

GT Tachyon
Picked up this beauty to replace my trek commuter that I sold this summer. $650 list price and paid $344 shipped to the house, as in usual Painkiller style upgrade a few things out of the box. I wanted to create a durable flatbar road bike that could take a beating so I thought this was a good foundation to start with.
new mods include:
sinz ti-carbon bottom bracket
crank 30-40-52
rear cluster 11t-28t
rear deraileur
ritchey pro seat
ritchey pro barends
ritchey carbon handle bar
fsa stem
Ti- carbon skewers
carbon water bottle cages
toe clips and straps twin strobe lights

the bike runs out pretty nice, stout comes in @ 24.5lbs
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(12-29-2011, 09:02 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Picked up this beauty to replace my trek commuter that I sold this summer. $650 list price and paid $344 shipped to the house, as in usual Painkiller style upgrade a few things out of the box. I wanted to create a durable flatbar road bike that could take a beating so I thought this was a good foundation to start with.
new mods include:
sinz ti-carbon bottom bracket
crank 30-40-52
rear cluster 11t-28t
rear deraileur
ritchey pro seat
ritchey pro barends
ritchey carbon handle bar
fsa stem
Ti- carbon skewers
carbon water bottle cages
toe clips and straps twin strobe lights

the bike runs out pretty nice, stout comes in @ 24.5lbs

looks cool mate. i've not heard of the GT Tachyon before is it specific to the US?
Nice Bicycle, good starting price. Plus extras. Whats the total.

Here is my 1985 Valulite quadbutted steel frame Fuji del Rey. 24 1/2 lbs very nimble ride...........:-))) Bike plus overhaul and extras around $350.00

Happy New Year yoall.
Never Give Up!!!
cannot answer if the Tachyon is U.S. specific or not. It is a 2011 Tachyon 4.0 model or used to be.
Yea George, I really like the job you did on your fuji so much that I did the bars on my Miyata like that and loved it. I sold that also this year.
Here is my tally so far
Bike $344
Fsa carbon alum stem $56
Ritchey WCS carbon bar $65
Ritchey pro barends $17
carbon barend plugs $7.5
Ritchey seat $26
Seat QR $13.50
Ritchey clamp-on grips $15
carbon-ti skewers $44
crank $74
rear derailleur $35
rear cluster $23.75
2 carbon water cages $25
toeclips/straps $8
2 lights/strobes $15
comes to around $768.75
all parts new and includes shipping
Still need rear rack and trunk to finish her up
The higher end tachyons came with M/discs and a cheap shock
and still to low gearing for my taste. Thats why I chose this one.
I thought it had a nice sharp clean look and did not mind paying $344 for Wheels ,tubes, tires,frame and fork ,seatpost, front derailleur,headset. I never really find that off the shelve perfect bike, But I do know how to create a close to perfect bike for myself anyway
I have always been a fan of rigid bikes and always will. I have been offered $1000.00 for the bike already by a past customer but had to decline, it is setup kinda for me and would like to ride it other than in my trainer this spring!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Ye and I just noticed its the "Police Investigator "model. :-))

Here are the oem specs I found. PS you got a great price.

http://www.downcycles.com/store/2011-tachyon-p-1491.html
Never Give Up!!!
George that would be aluminum for the fork, blade style.
and " Police Interceptor " is the term
Not to worry, just one of the cheapest and most effective anti-theft devices I have ever installed on my bikes. when people notice the police interceptor and the stand clear sticker they really are not quite sure and leave well enough alone. I thought the front mount Tazer and the custom pepper spray barends might be a bit much, But are available for an extra grand!
Woohoo, PK! Looking sweet!!
Do me a fave? Don't wear the Superman T-shirt on your neighborhood cement velodrome on this one (I still have that vid and ... nevermind). Hate to see curb-scuffs on that beauty. Please??

We had a Tachy in the shop that fit me but, I was torn between it and the Trek 7.3FX. The FX won. I got the '11 model in Matte Onyx. I just really dig the feel of the Bonty IsoZone bar and grips. Or maybe it was my feminine side surfacing - dull grey is cool. Smile
I added a Topeak MTX rack and bag with panniers on the rear and found a great deal on a Cygo NightRover II that I hung on the bar. I am making a holster for my Kryptonite gun that will fit between ... nevermind. Didn't intend to do that. I will make my own thread with pics of her if I ever get a break. Unseasonably warm weather in AR finds me working more than riding. Is that 'Cabin Fever'?

That Tachyon looks TOO schweet! I particularly admire the "Police Instigator" decals. Yes. You read that correct. Smile

Happy New Year, PK and everyone else!

Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(12-29-2011, 09:02 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Picked up this beauty to replace my trek commuter that I sold this summer. $650 list price and paid $344 shipped to the house, as in usual Painkiller style upgrade a few things out of the box. . .

Nice bike 'Killer. I'm wondering if bike prices in general are coming down or are you just a good negotiator?

Per Robar, happy new year all. Big Grin

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Robar I got me a sponge Bob square pants shirt for this bike to help soften the blow. your Trek certainly aimed at the same market for sure.
you get a better rear derailleur than I did. mine was geared like yours but I found it to be a little to mountain bikey for my taste.
To your question steve, no I would not say that bikes are becoming less expensive. I think you get a lot less bike for the money today as compared to say early to mid 90s.
That was kind of my purpose behind my "Project Fuji" build I am doing now.http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3633.html
I wanted the high end components and feel of years gone by mixed with a taste of today. All components used on that project are new.
The reason I got the tachyon at the $344 price was because I bought the first one for my son inlaw and it was a bit large for him. I paid about $420 shipped for that one,still a good buy. Then got a 20% coupon off the $420
and bought the second one for the $344
but to think for $650 list and the components it has compared to what $650 got you back in 91' I will take 91' back in a heartbeat
yes I upgraded quite a bit to my Tachyon but I knew what it was and knew what I wanted to change. even on my son inlaws I changed the bottom bracket right off because I did not care for the spec'd chainline to the crank that came stock
Thanks 'killer. I was curious because there are several things going on in the economy that could influence prices, demand, and am wondering which one is winning. Smile

Besides higher gasoline prices (generally speaking, year over year data), other commodities and such are causing higher inflation (= higher prices) yet demand overall throughout the economy is low (= lower prices). And there is that never ending "uncertainty" about the future where no one plans any purchases beyond tomorrow (= lower prices). But at least bikes have the feature of being an alternative to higher gas prices (= higher prices).

It's too bad economics is an art and not a science. Big Grin

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
My commute to work is only 5 miles each way and pretty flat for the most part. I ride more for fun and exercise than for gas. Really that Tachyon is the first new bike I have bought for myself since 95'
and I still have it too. My mongoose amplifier is a 90', my Gemini tandem is a 91' , my mongoose IBOC Comp is a 95', early 80s on my univega which my become a fixie project
When I get my Fuji done I have to finish the Tandem and the Amplifer and I should be good to go for the next 20 years. If you can afford to spend a little more for higher grade components and maintain properly they really can last for years
MY friend you have lived up to your name! Made this nice ride less pain and more fun!!! Big Grin . Great job!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks bill, The bike has been a.fine ride so far. I have since upgraded the rear derailluer to a shimano 105 just because I had a new one laying around in the bin of NUPs (new unsold products) ha ha
I love the way it handles and actually has a good feel all around for an all aluminum frame and fork.
Your welcome. GT's are really nice bikes when kept in good condition. Have you been off road with it yet? I was doing some trailing with my oldest son a couple days ago with my Mongoose and got pretty muddy lol. Mind ya that the trails were light.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
When do we get to see a pic or three of the bike and you in your Sponge Bob Squarepants tee? Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Ha! That sorta rhymed.
Smile Rob
Just some light trails with the tachyon Bill. I have other bikes for that. Its mainly my commuter and errand runner.
I have to knock out some laundry Robar and i will get your photo shootSmile
(07-29-2012, 10:32 AM)painkiller Wrote:  Just some light trails with the tachyon Bill. I have other bikes for that. Its mainly my commuter and errand runner.
I have to knock out some laundry Robar and i will get your photo shootSmile
hmm hm hmmmm hmm, hmm hmm hmmmm - humming and still waiting. Do I need to stomp my feet? Smile
I have not forgot ya Rob, you will get your pic! Good things come to those who wait Smile
Yea yea yea me wanna see you and sponge bob under the sea! Tongue .