Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Replacing drivetrain
i have an '02 gary fisher big sur (now a ziggurat thanks to my original frame snapping six years ago) and my chain broke and is MIA. i've read that the cassette and the chain wear together so i need to replace the cassette along with the chain. since we're talking 10 years of wear, i figure i should replace the chain rings as well.

it's about time i learned to do this stuff myself. so i borrowed van der plas's repair guide from my local library and setting off on my maiden voyage. so i am seeking advice from people in terms of what chain, cassette and chainrings i should get (my crank arms are fine) and also what tools i will need/should get. i'll probably order over the internet to get the best price.

i also figure i'll go with OEM parts just to be safe--don't want to make a major change that won't work or make this first job hell.

http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2002&Brand=Gary%20Fisher&Model=Big%20Sur%20Disc&Type=bike

in terms of tools, it looks like i'll need a chain whip, a crank puller (gonna go with the more compact version) and a chain tool.

so not really a question per se, just looking for feedback/advice for a newbie mechanic. thanks.
replace the whole crankset as it is cheaper than replacing chainrings. Finding the OEM parts will be extremely difficult, they change every year.

you should probably replace or rebuild the BB too.

Watch the videos to figure out what tools you need.

Crosslake Sales on ebay has many two-three-four year old model parts at very good prices.
Nigel
(08-01-2011, 10:38 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  replace the whole crankset as it is cheaper than replacing chainrings. Finding the OEM parts will be extremely difficult, they change every year.

you should probably replace or rebuild the BB too.

Watch the videos to figure out what tools you need.

Crosslake Sales on ebay has many two-three-four year old model parts at very good prices.

i was hoping to leave the bottom bracket as is. don't want to bite off more than i can chew. how strong is your recommend to replace it? it may have been addressed 4-5 yrs ago when my components were transferred to my new frame.
does the bottom bracket turn smoothly with no wobble?

My experience is that chain rings out last bottom brackets several times over.
Nigel
(08-02-2011, 04:47 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  does the bottom bracket turn smoothly with no wobble?

My experience is that chain rings out last bottom brackets several times over.

my BB is smooth--no problems. i was a little unsure about needing to replace the chain rings and the compatibility with a new chain. the outer ring teeth look a tiny bit like a "shark fins" but i'll try going with it and see what happens.

so to summarize:

replace
chain: Shimano CN-HG53, 1/2 x 3/32" 9 speed chain
cassette: Shimano HG50 9 Speed Mountain Bike Cassette 9 speed 11/32 teeth

tools
chain tool
chain whip
lock ring removal tool

thanks for the advice nfmisso
(08-02-2011, 07:23 PM)giddy up Wrote:  ......

my BB is smooth--no problems. i was a little unsure about needing to replace the chain rings and the compatibility with a new chain. the outer ring teeth look a tiny bit like a "shark fins" but i'll try going with it and see what happens.

so to summarize:

replace
chain: Shimano CN-HG53, 1/2 x 3/32" 9 speed chain
cassette: Shimano HG50 9 Speed Mountain Bike Cassette 9 speed 11/32 teeth

tools
chain tool
chain whip
lock ring removal tool

thanks for the advice nfmisso

The teeth on chainrings are not uniform, this is to help shifting.

tools - correct.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...