Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Can i make the switch ? Shamal Campagnolo to Aerospoke
Hi guys,

I'm actually using, as a back wheel, a campagnolo Shamal with a tube, a 8 speed cassette (campy as well) is linked to it.

Because getting a flat is getting real expensive i'm thinking replacing my rear wheel with an aerospoke 700 c machined. (the one i spotted has an sram pg990 cassette on it)

I wanted to know if it's possible to switch the axle and the cassette from my campy to the aerospoke.

Thank you for your help in advance
No. Not possible. Look for a rear wheel with Campagnolo compatible freehub body. There are ways to make a Shimano (or compatible: SRAM) cassette work (well, sort of) with a Campa setup. I have no experience with that, so I cannot comment on how well this works or how difficult this might be. I'd avoid it if I was in your place.
However, many manufacturers provide their wheelsets for both types, Campa and Shimano. Sometimes they offer replacement hub bodies, though it'll be (probably9 less expensive to get the correct rear wheel from the beginning.
(08-01-2011, 02:55 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  No. Not possible. Look for a rear wheel with Campagnolo compatible freehub body. There are ways to make a Shimano (or compatible: SRAM) cassette work (well, sort of) with a Campa setup. I have no experience with that, so I cannot comment on how well this works or how difficult this might be. I'd avoid it if I was in your place.
However, many manufacturers provide their wheelsets for both types, Campa and Shimano. Sometimes they offer replacement hub bodies, though it'll be (probably9 less expensive to get the correct rear wheel from the beginning.

1st thx for that answer.

I can definitely see how complex that would be to make the switch.

If we dont talk about money here wat will be my options if i get that aerospoke?

thx
Well, either replace the group (a mid range Shimano group set is in the range of 500 - 800 EUR depending on which actual group, this year vs. last years group etc.) or replace the rotor (freehub body), don't even know if they exist for the wheel you want. Contact manufacturer for that. Might be difficult to find, though (but cheaper than swapping out the whole group). Or try to make the whel work with the rest of your group, search the internet for "Shimergo" (I think they called it last time I stumbled across).
well i guess i ll have to look for something compatible....any suggestions?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Painkiller