Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Restored Schwinn LeTour Pulls to the left
Hello folks, I bought and restored an old LeTour last fall. The bike looks great and rides well except for one thing. There is a definite strong pull to the left, so much so that if I let off the handlebars for even a second I find myself doing a hard left turn. I need to apply a constant counter-steering force to keep on a straight path, so it is tiring to ride. As far as I can tell, from eyeballing it, the frame is aligned properly. I manually trued the wheels - they're not perfectly true but that shouldn't affect steering (based on experience with other bikes.) Maybe the "dish" of one of the wheels is off? I'm looking for brainstorms of things that could cause such steering problems. Thanks in advance!
Bummer, that kind of issue comes up once in a while. Check in archives for info too.

Did you disassemble the head (you should have) thats usually the first place to check. Make sure the bearings are set the right way, if races, open end to cup, like in the wheel and that everything is set level and tight. Use good grease.
Than check the wheel make sure its centered and the bearings are good. Check if brakes are clear.

You can also use a straight edge along the wheels as high as you can get it below the axle touching along both f/r sides of rear wheel than see if its inline with the front wheel. You can also use string. Tie it to rear of rear wheel run it till just touches the front of the rear wheel than stretch it to the front wheel do the same. Should be able to touch evenly on all four points.
Never Give Up!!!
(07-10-2011, 04:46 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Bummer, that kind of issue comes up once in a while. Check in archives for info too.

Did you disassemble the head (you should have) thats usually the first place to check. Make sure the bearings are set the right way, if races, open end to cup, like in the wheel and that everything is set level and tight. Use good grease.
Than check the wheel make sure its centered and the bearings are good. Check if brakes are clear.

You can also use a straight edge along the wheels as high as you can get it below the axle touching along both f/r sides of rear wheel than see if its inline with the front wheel. You can also use string. Tie it to rear of rear wheel run it till just touches the front of the rear wheel than stretch it to the front wheel do the same. Should be able to touch evenly on all four points.

I did not disassemble the head. Good suggestion. I'll try the straight edge and string idea also. That sounds like a quick easy thing to check.

thanks a bunch!
Ye definitely something to do that's where the steering happens.. Take photos and notes as you disassemble.

Make sure tires are seated evenly too.
Never Give Up!!!
I hate it when they never come back and post a follow up. Wha happun?
Plus one to good ole George! Crappy tire, wheel problem (more then likely off center at fork dropout level), and yes even headsets.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...