Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Front Derailleur Not shifting at all!
Hello everyone,

I have a full suspension bike and this march break I replaced the front derailleur, rear derailleur and the brake cables. I have successfully installed the rear derailleur and the brake cables so they seem to work exceptionally well. Now my problem is that my shimano front derailleur wont shift at all, i can shift it manually by pressing at the pivot point and it shift perfectly well except when the rear derailleur is on the highest gear ( top sprocket) and the front derailleur is at the top sprocket, the rear derailleur rubs off against the sprockets, the part that rubs against it is the guide pulleys. When I shift to the lowest gear there is slack but at the highest gear there is absolutely no slack but either way it does not move. I have been adjusting the H and L limit screws in 1/4 turn increments in both counterclockwise and clockwise but they do not make too much of a difference. While on the lowest gear ( front derailleur ) the cable is poking out of the shifter.

*On a side note my previous derailleurs were named FS Falcon. Could this be an incompatibly issue with the frame?
First does the front changer cable move properly when changing gear?
I would suspect you chain is to short if the jockey wheels are touching.

The H&L screws don't adjust anything!
They are only stops to stop the dérailleurs from moving to far. Back them out initially to make sure you have enough movement.
The situation you must avoid though is the rear dérailleur running into the spokes.
The adjustments are done with the knurled adjusters on the the shifters or down-tube or dérailleur or in-line ones
Ride hard or ride home alone!

Possibly Related Threads...