Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

My blue SR Sierra Sport
PK. Really. You should know better than to ask if a man has 120 rounds of .30-06 and a brick of .22 in his panniers. Especially a Cali man. That's worse than Illannoy! Smile
I dropped a .45 ACP round down the seat tube of one of my bikes but can't remember which one. Probably the Trek 7.3 FX as it's my loaded bike. Get it?! I hope I dropped it in primer up. Would hate to shoot myself in the buttocks hitting a pothole on a rainy morning with fogged glasses. Wink
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Omg ! I know I am really bad with words, but Nigel and I are a lot alike. I know we like a lot of the same foods ! Robar how did you know I am just as retro with my doomsday protection as I am with my Mtbs, I figure when the day comes I can break out the trusty 1903 Springfield 30 ott sniper and be Nigels stoker and use his shoulder as a makeshift bipod while we take our country back! You just had to be #1 on page 2 didn't you? P.S. We love you Nigel..
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
PK. Being #1 on the second page was probably by devine intervention or had something to do with UFO's on LSD. I learned my ABC's on PBS. If I could - I would mount an old 8-Track player on my bars and stick in a Joe Walsh tape. ILBT's!
Rock on down the road.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
I was riding my SR on the 13th, and something felt funny. The rim also had a lot more side to side variation than it should. I rode my green GT the rest of the week. Last weekend I was able to get a little time to debug it, and found:
[attachment=5440]
Sad Sad Sad

This weekend, I spread the frame from 127mm to 135mm to accept:
[attachment=5441]
I need 20 each 280mm and 282mm spokes to lace up the rim (same CR18 rim) 4X - I had 19 of the 280s, and an excess of the 282s. Trip to Wheel Away for a couple spokes. I picked 4X for this wheel build, because I already had most of the spokes, and I had none of the correct length for 3X (272/274).

In addition, I am going to take this opportunity to go to 2x8 from 2x7. My plan is to bash a: 13-14-15-17-19-21-26-32 from a 13-26 and a 11-32 Shimano cassettes. The front is 39/52. There is one hill on my commute where the 39-32 combo will be used. My flatlands cruising (slow pedaling) is 52- 15/17/19. I also going to try Sunlite (Microshift) twist grip shifters. The SRAM MRX have served me well, but 2/3rds the price is worth checking into.

Wheel assembly will probably be tomorrow, followed by RD hanger adjustment.
Nigel
Nothing is forever I guess, looks like it has been built up a couples times Huh? I am doing a 6 to 7 speed upgrade on an old Hardrock. I thought may be 130mm but looks like I am good to go, plenty of room for the other hub. I have no opinion on the Microshift, have not used them. But I think they make some Nashbar branded stuff.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
hi Bob; I have put over 15,000 miles on it, and built it in three different wheels. plus I bought it used, and based on the lacing when I got it, I don't believe that was original.

to the best of my knowledge, all Hardrocks are 135 o.l.d.
Nigel
My best guess on this Hardrock is 91',92'. Was 6 speed freewheel, Altus C20 equipped.
Getting total facelift to mostly DeoreLX, commuter/cross country machine. 22.5 in frame. Mostly parts bin build except for the new Rapidfire shifters, grips, new chain/cluster,pads. Then just need to find someone tall to buy it! Smile
(10-26-2014, 11:35 AM)painkiller Wrote:  .....Then just need to find someone tall to buy it! Smile

Sorry, the boss has laid it down, too many in the garage already Smile

Started building the new rear wheel, and discovered that 4X will cause the spokes to go over the head of its neighbor - NG. So it is back to 3X and ordering spokes.......
Nigel
(10-26-2014, 03:36 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(10-26-2014, 11:35 AM)painkiller Wrote:  .....Then just need to find someone tall to buy it! Smile

Sorry, the boss has laid it down, too many in the garage already Smile

Started building the new rear wheel, and discovered that 4X will cause the spokes to go over the head of its neighbor - NG. So it is back to 3X and ordering spokes.......
I thought X4 was a bit much and was just going to ask what your reason was for that. It probably would not hurt if they did touch except if one broke it would be an extra pain to replace. I normally do X2 or x3 depending on what I am working with.
I figured the rock would be way to big for you bro, quite a spread from seatpost to center of bar 29in. fit for me is closer to 26.5in.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Portellini