Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Trouble shifting up
Hi all.
I have a giant revel 3 and took it out for its first ever ride today. I noticed that when I was cycling and changing up on the front derailleur it would not shift up very easily, especially from 2nd to 3rd and at one point the chain locked as it wasn't sat on the teeth properly and i had to get off and move the chain back on with my hand.

When putting it on a stand it all moves smoothly and it only appears to be when I'm actually cycling. Once I have managed to get it into third shifing it back down is really smooth it just seems to be when I'm shifting up.

Any ideas as I don't want to start adjusting the derailleur if it could be something else.. any ideas on what I should adjust, I vaugly remember how to adjust derailleurs but it was so long since i have had to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Quote:I have a giant revel 3 and took it out for its first ever ride today.

Is this a brand new bike? If so, take it back to the LBS where you bought it and let them know that it is not shifting properly. If it's not a new bike, I would start by looking at the videos here and see if you want to re-learn how to adjust the derailleur. I would also check the cables and cable housing to make sure the cable is moving smoothly within the housing.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
I have a new road bike. The rt. crank arm and pedal needs to be replaced. Also, I don't seem to be able to change gears. I am glad to find this blog to learn and serve as a guide. I have a Shimano precision-shifting 20-speed drivetrain with a TruVativ compact crank for spinning up climbs. Duh, I haven't done that yet, I have only take a few light ride. I am very disappointed at this stage, but realize I am on a learning curve. My bike is at the LBS and I am awaiting my crank arm which the dealer is replacing--so that is good. I brought my bike to a different LBS than the one who tuned/assembled it just to be safe?

Why am I not able to shift gears?
if this is a brand new bike you've just bought i wouldn't be happy with them just replacing faulty parts i would be telling them i want a complete replacement of the bike and if they cant do that then a full refund and take your money to a better bike shop im not sure where in the world you are but if your in the uk your well within your rights to ask for a refund
ride until your wheels fall off

Possibly Related Threads...