Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Back Tire moves to the left fork as I ride.
The back tire seems okay in an average ride, maybe a bit to the side but not as much but once I go uphills it unaligns&moves to the left fork eventually causing the tire to rub on the fork&decreasing my speed.

Could it be tightening&How much should an easy release lever be tightened?
CyClePathiC Writer
http://dss-dnt.blogspot.com/
I always put my quick release levers at just enough, so I can easily push the lever 3/4 of the way and then push hard the last 1/4.
The bike looks to have horizontal drop-outs.
Your quick release will have to be quite tight to stop the wheel twisting.
I have had this happen a few times and it can be dangerous if it happens at the wrong time.
ie setting off across a junction. Sad

Tighten the the nut a bit at a time until the wheel stops slipping.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
I will keep tightening more. Thank you for the suggestion.

The front wheel use to randomly fall out, luckily never while riding it. I had to buy new levers to replace the original old ones.

I took it to a bike shop&the problem still persisted. Is it possible to tighten so much u can damage something.
CyClePathiC Writer
http://dss-dnt.blogspot.com/
It is possible to overtighten a QR lever and if you have to make it super tight to keep the wheel from slipping, something is wrong.
Check:
- the little springs at the end of the axle should have the small end going toward the center of the hub and make sure the large end of the spring is not bent up so it gets trapped between the QR lever and the frame (it should tuck inside the QR)
- check that the rear axle is not sticking out too far. If you put the wheel into the frame without the QR skewer on the wheel, the axle should not stick out past the outer edge of the frame drop out. If it's too long it can keep the QR from tightening down.
- Is there lot's of chewed up paint on the frame where the QR tightens down? If so, you might want to clean off some of the paint so the QR can get a better "bite" onto the frame.

This is a definite safety issue. Something is not working right. QR should be able to clamp the wheel plenty tight without a problem.

Possibly Related Threads...