Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Axle too short
Hi, I have a problem. When I checked the bicycle's rear bearings I noticed that the axle had broken. I went to bought one. I tried to change it, remove the axle, mounted and lubricate the bearings. When I mounted the tire to the frame, I noticed that the axle was too short and I couldn't put the tire. Are there different lengths of axles? Am I doing something wrong.

Thanks
Yes, there are several different lengths. There are also "quick release" (hollow) axle and solid ones for bolt on wheels. There are also different threadings. You really need to take the olds parts in with you to match them up unfortunately.
when setting up a new axle, you must be very careful to ensure that the cone, spacer and locknut on the right side, when tightened together, is exactly the same length as the previous axle and that the locknut on this side is very tight, you also need to ensure that the overall length is the same, and then carry out the final ajustment and tightening on the left side.

The face of the right locknut must stand proud of the face of the freewheel or the wheel will not be free to rotate. Check inside your hub to see the condition of the bearing cups, it is not uncommon to find that these are worn or damaged, in which case you will need a new wheel.

You also cannot properly fit a new axle without removing the freewheel or cassette.

There are 2 common thread sizes for rear axles, older bikes will have 3/8" axles, newer ones will have 10mm. Either can be used provided you do not swap threaded parts between the 2 and your new axle must come complete with track nuts, unless it is a quick release wheel!
Thank you DaveM. Yes it was very difficult find the correct axle. I have to buy an axle solid of of 8, I mean 15 cm, because never find the right axle hollow. Although in some bicycle shop and just sold shimano, about $20 very expensive. My bicycle isn´t so expensive.
Your right trevbb, thank you, it was very, very difficult change it, but I did it. First, the bearings cups were worn, then I lost a bearing. When you try to adjust the axle is complicated. When I did it was very tight so I have to loosen. Now I think I can do it one more time.

I change the caliper, it was easy, but the disc brake scraping with the pads, I think is common until the the pads are matched.
alrivas - very good work, my friend!

You are correct on the new caliper/ pad installation. Do not forget that new disc pads always require a 'Burn In' period. This should be done ASAP. A rotor can also be 'trued' to reduce brake scraping.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

09-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Last Post: !TREK4ME!

08-21-2013, 03:42 AM
Last Post: 1FJEF