Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Different size tires
This might be a stupid question guys. Can I use a 27 in tire on in front and a 700c tire in the rear on a bike?
Sure you can! Just be sure that you have a 27" rim at the front, and a 700 backside.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Interesting concept thanks for sharing, even though I been on this site I still find that learning is always a pleasure by other's questions Smile.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
This will result in a slight change to the geometry of the bike. More slack head tube angle may slightly change the handling characteristics. Though the change from 27 <-> 700 is small enough you probably won't feel a huge difference. But it will be more noticeable on more dramatic mismatched wheels. (I've seen people mix 26" and 20" for instance.) Note also that smaller wheels bring the cranks closer to the ground which can mean pedal strikes during cornering, etc. Brake clearance/reach is usually the biggest problem messing with wheel size. But that all said, Frankenstein away! One of the cool things on bikes is that you can do crazy mismatched stuff like this.
you obviously need the same size wheel as the tyres!! and check to make sure the brakes contact the rim.
(01-10-2011, 08:42 PM)DaveM Wrote:  This will result in a slight change to the geometry of the bike. More slack head tube angle may slightly change the handling characteristics. Though the change from 27 <-> 700 is small enough you probably won't feel a huge difference. But it will be more noticeable on more dramatic mismatched wheels. (I've seen people mix 26" and 20" for instance.) Note also that smaller wheels bring the cranks closer to the ground which can mean pedal strikes during cornering, etc. Brake clearance/reach is usually the biggest problem messing with wheel size. But that all said, Frankenstein away! One of the cool things on bikes is that you can do crazy mismatched stuff like this.

Quote:(I've seen people mix 26" and 20" for instance.)

The Civia Halsted mixes 26" and 20" but the frame is designed for this. Interesting bike!