Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Trek 660 - any information?
Hey there!

I recently found a post on Craigslist for a 1985 Trek 660 for $300.

From what I found online, the 660 was a high-quality racing bike in its day. Question is, would it be worth buying for an entry-level rider today (assuming good condition)?

Pictures:
[Image: P1040194.jpg]

[Image: P1040197.jpg]

Any help would be much appreciated!

Quote:There are a number of scratches, and some of the nail polish touch-up put years ago no longer matches in color, but can be re-applied. The shifting is indexed, 12 speeds. New cables, housing and tape. The components are mostly Shimano 600 (Ultegra) and 105. Wheelsmith gold-label wheels (Specialized rear hub, Dura-Ace front hub). The bike was completely overhauled 5 years ago, not too many miles since then.
That's a decent price for a very nice bike. The only thing you really miss out not going with a more modern bike is the integrated brake/shift levers. But at that kind of price, you won't get anything new of any quality. It looks to be a 52cm? If it fits good, I'd go for it.
Looks like a nice, clean bike. BUT you need to see it in person to check the frame thoroughly. Check for any minor fractures, cracks. Look at all the welds. Look at every single inch of that bike. Check hubs, bottom bracket, tire crack, housing cracks, brake pad wear, wheels true, etc. Any cosmetic scratches may be a sign of a wreck or something not good. Anything that you feel you have to fix, deduct it from the price. Heck, take it to a local bike shop. See what they say. They can check the frame to make sure its not tweaked. Good Luck. Looks like a nice score.
GO RIDE...
I'd check the frame, specially those parts that "no longer matches in color" just to be sure is fading paint and no cosmetics to any structural damage. Seems as a really really sweet ride. You could even use it for commute, which is nice.

The only thing i'd keep in mind is that a road bike isn't the best pick for the beginner cyclist, but i guess that's more of a flexible rule. The important thing is that you feel comfortable on it and with it.
This site might have a bit of info for you... http://www.vintage-trek.com/
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
price to high In my opinion, it adds up fast when replacing cables,housing,brake pads,tubes and tires
around $150 would be a better buy
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Man I love Vintage Bikes! This is a nice one indeed!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(11-17-2010, 06:04 PM)Miroslaw Wrote:  Hey there!

I recently found a post on Craigslist for a 1985 Trek 660 for $300.

From what I found online, the 660 was a high-quality racing bike in its day. Question is, would it be worth buying for an entry-level rider today (assuming good condition)?

I would pass at $300. I would purchase this sport/rec bike at $125 to get the retro bits, hubs, wheels, fork. A donor bike. The frame is too small for me, too small for most everyone. And then there is the whole cracking on the welds issue. With old bikes, look at fit first, then condition. Or is it the other way around?
Regardless of the year, for $300.00 you can't go wrong with a road bike unless the frame and/or fork are in bad shape. If all those parts have indeed been replaced, then I would jump on. The cost of the replacement parts are more than $300.00. Just my opinion.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
I have a Trek 660 bike similar to the one in the pics and mine is in excellent original condition. I was just wondering what to ask for the bike as I am going to put it up for sale and all of you are the experts. I quit riding the bike 15 years ago and like many folks it just hangs in the rafters in the garage. Is there a way to tell exactly what year the bike is ? From what I have found on the net it appears to be 1984 or 1985. It is red with Trek 660 in yellow letters just like the one in the pics. Any information would greatly be appreciated as I like to be informed when going into any negotiation. Thank you and have a great day.
Life is an adventure to be lived not a problem to be solved !
Lets check it out, post lots of clear close up pics and go from there
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(02-18-2014, 10:42 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Lets check it out, post lots of clear close up pics and go from there

Thank you for the reply and I will do that very thing. It may take a couple of days as I will need to take it down and give it a good wipe down/washing before the pics. Thanks again. Smile
Life is an adventure to be lived not a problem to be solved !
I agree that $300 is steep in most areas of the country, but $150 seems too low if in good condition. The one big variable is the chain/freewheel - appear to be OEM, so may well need replacement. On the other hand the rear derailleur is not OEM, appears to be inexpensive Suntour instead of OEM Ofmega. Rear derailleurs are often replaced because the old one went into the spokes.

Trek 660 specs: http://www.vintage-trek.com/images/trek/85TrekRacing.pdf