Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bike painting
hey alex, how 'bout a tutorial on painting?
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
This sounds cool. It might require a sort of off site tutorial. I'd imagine it would require a lot of equipment to pull off alone. Maybe take a frame to a local painter to follow the process. Other ideas could be to take it to be sand blasted then do a tutorial on rattle canning the frame. I'm sure there are several ways to do this one.
higher end rattlecanning is what im thinking about. making the best you can for as little cash as you can.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
(10-30-2010, 01:56 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  This sounds cool. It might require a sort of off site tutorial. I'd imagine it would require a lot of equipment to pull off alone. Maybe take a frame to a local painter to follow the process. Other ideas could be to take it to be sand blasted then do a tutorial on rattle canning the frame. I'm sure there are several ways to do this one.

===you'd be surprised what you can do when spray paint is 9 dollars a can , Its simple dremel it , tape it ,hang it from coat hangers, i used angled bits in all the tube intersections to bevel through the paint to the metal and when i painted over it it fades black to red and pops Smile
ps my name is alex so i guess you get what you ask for ? search instructables for a detailed spray paint guide
I'm impressed! You used a dremel to get this effect? I'll look on instructables for it! Love the design!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(12-14-2010, 08:19 AM)Bill Wrote:  I'm impressed! You used a dremel to get this effect? I'll look on instructables for it! Love the design!

Yeah it came out way better then i expected, i used 80 grit flap wheels to remove the paint (1 did about 3/4 of the frame) and enamel grinding cones( a cylindrical one for flat spots a rounded cone for curves and a sharp tapered one to press into the bare metal to get the effect at the intersections, i didnt know it would come out this nice or i would have done that effect more over the bike. I used dupli color Metalcast paint i got it at the auto parts store and it was about 9 dollars a can which is crazy but clearly worth it, they also had an ocean blue and purple version of that paint.

You'd be surprised what you can spray paint with proper sanding and taping
I know because I have rattle canned all my jobs. It is the effect you did with the dremel that still amazes me Big Grin . Wander if custom lettering would be an option Wink
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
yeah if i knew it would come out that good i woudl have done it more bold and all over, im thinkin about doing it with yellow underneath and mettalic ocean blue over top . and ps guys im gonna post up a bunch more pics for this i swore i did not sure where they went though.
@ bill

Sorry i dont want to take the time to retake the pictures and upload them, they are on another thread, so ill post the link below but theres a bunch more detailed pictures of the paint so enjoy buddy
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-2409.html
hi alex,
i have a bmx chrome frame that i wanted to be painted with powder coating. do i need to remove the headset bearing cup and the bottom bracket bearing cup? and how to remove spotting rusts on it? are you familiar with powder coating?
thanks
(03-20-2011, 08:54 AM)bite_brian Wrote:  hi alex,
i have a bmx chrome frame that i wanted to be painted with powder coating. do i need to remove the headset bearing cup and the bottom bracket bearing cup? and how to remove spotting rusts on it? are you familiar with powder coating?
thanks

Hi Brian,
Yes if possible do remove all the parts that can be removed, before the powder coating. Consult with the person who is going to perform the powder coating as well. The spot rust can be removed by watching this video... http://bikeride.com/rust-removal/ . Also there are several other ways that you can use, I posted this search link that shows other posts here on the site.... http://bikeride.com/search.php?q=remove+rust&sa=GO&cx=007212922836035168183%3Afhf2-dk8g-i&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8#968 . Hope this helps,
Bill
hi bill,
will the powder coating will hold strong to the frame even if its chrome?
i have read about the EVAPO-RUST but i dont think if i can find it here in the philippines.

thank you.
YEah im not entirely familiar with powder coating either, I would say as long as you prepsand the chrome properly it should hold.
First off, I stopped using Evapo-Rust when I found out that it is basically common white vinegar you buy in a grocery store at a fraction of the price. I guess you are just paying for the instructions on the evapo-rust container. Smile

I'm no expert on powder coating chrome or painting chrome primarily because I have never seen anyone do it successfully (without it chipping all to hell). There isn't much that sticks to chrome. In fact, basic rules of doing a good paint job are scuffing up the surface so that paint or whatever will stick to it. Even when using a self-etching primer, there are chemicals that do the "scuffing" in order for the paint to adhere. If you try it, keep us up to date over time afterward as the paint job ages and cracks, chips or whatever. Big Grin

Thanks,
Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET