Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Schwinn s-25 handlebar problem
hello,

I just bought a new bike, bike here, I have zero bike repair skills. I am six feet tall and i was trying to raise the handle bar up and i seemed to have messed something up.

Well for one, the manual says that it only raises up about 2 inches and there are supposed to be some markers on the stem, but i didn't see any. 2 inches is not a lot but i guess it is better than nothing. I raised it up about two inches and tightened those two bolts the stem clamp bolts i think, so i thought i was good.

I went to move it and now the frame of the bike is all wobbly like it is floating around inside the tube. I checked all the bearings and everything is tight and firm when i put the bolts back on but it is still wobbly.

Any clues on a possible fix? Or what i messed up?
After further review of the bike and the manual it seems i am either missing the headset wedge or I don't know what. Any help would be cool. It only moves front to back, not side to side.
If it's exactly like the one in the picture, it has a threadless headset. These don't have a wedge and the stem can only be raised or lowered by means of the spacers on the stearer tube of the forks.

Take a look here: http://bikeride.com/adjust-threadless-headset
this is a seriously safety critical component and I would advise you to get it fixed by a professional mechanic, if you bought it from a LBS, return it , even if you bought this bike mail order, get if fixed at a shop, you may have to pay, but it could save your life!
Note that there is more than one securing method for a-head style stems, and also, if you need more height, the LBS can fit a stem raiser like this;
(10-21-2010, 11:58 PM)xerxes Wrote:  If it's exactly like the one in the picture, it has a threadless headset. These don't have a wedge and the stem can only be raised or lowered by means of the spacers on the stearer tube of the forks.

Take a look here: http://bikeride.com/adjust-threadless-headset

yes it looks like that. I took that bolt all the way out, is that what caused this problem? I guess i should return it then? If so, that makes me sad, i really wanted to get out and ride.
(10-22-2010, 05:42 AM)trevgbb Wrote:  this is a seriously safety critical component and I would advise you to get it fixed by a professional mechanic, if you bought it from a LBS, return it , even if you bought this bike mail order, get if fixed at a shop, you may have to pay, but it could save your life!
Note that there is more than one securing method for a-head style stems, and also, if you need more height, the LBS can fit a stem raiser like this;

i don't really want to spend tons of money, i am just riding for exercise so i am not trying to be all "hardcore". I can't think of a better word, not trying to sound like an ass.
i fixed this problem. I had not tightened the star nut enough, i didn't think that would cause the play i was feeling. I am still going to take this bike back, i found out it is some cheaply made bike and i am already experiencing problems with it.
Wow,at 46 lbs thats almost like two bikes. Its sad Schwinn lives in name only. They made some good bikes once.
Ye take it back for that money buy a few years old quality bike , you will be a lot happier.
Never Give Up!!!
china makes the bikes and schwinn puts their name on em sad really
The quieter you become the more you are able to hear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

12-15-2013, 06:13 PM