Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Questions about cleaning a chain without special tools
I don't have a special de-greaser tool or chain cleaning tools. Will a rag, toothbrush, and grease cleaning solvent be good enough to get the job done decently?

Can I use something like paint thinner for my solvent?

also to clean the chain from the solvent should I wash it dry with water then air dry?

Thanks for any replies.
Rag, toothbrush and solvent will work... Use bike degreaser if you have some, less odour and less damage on your hand and lungs!!

Thinner will work for sure, put it in a small spray bottle, more easy to apply on the chain!

Let it air dry, instead of water will rust your chain...
Never had special tools for this. Finally got a official chain cleaner and Park citrus cleaner and still have not used it.

Depends how dirty your chain is. Simple kerosene makes a good cleaner, paint thinner or mineral spirits is OK too. Follow manufacturers safety instructions. Just let it air dry do not use water. Than lubricate. I have finish line ceramic wet lubricant , never used it before and still have not.

Bicycle chain is very durable and fairly low maintenance, unless you ride a lot, especially in sandy, wet or muddy conditions. IMO. Some differ. :-))
Never Give Up!!!
Thanks guys hopefully I can get started tomorrow. I bought the Finish Line DRY, I mostly ride on the trail where its pretty dusty. I almost bought the finish like ceramic wax, but many people advised against wax unless I would be riding in absolutely dirty conditions.
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=24

Here is a link to Park tools chain cleaning info. They do suggest soap and water as a cleaner before lubrication. Hmmm. strange although the solvents like paint thinner will dry fast and leave no residue.
I may even clean my chain now that you got me going. :-))
Never Give Up!!!
I enjoy riding with a freshly cleaned chain--so clean my 10-speed chain often. I use a quick link in my chain so I can pull it easily. I use an empty GOOP hand cleaner tub with ~50cc of mineral spirits to strip it, then wash it with Simple Green. Rinse until clear with tap water. Shake off the water, sometimes I use compressed air to dry it, sometimes I hang it up in the sun to dry. I will usually give it a light spray of Tri-Flo then wipe dry with lint free paper towel. Shines like a diamond bracelet and runs/shifts smooth as silk. I hate a gritty chain. I have found no way to clean the chain on the bike that is as fast or effective.
if you got time, i put them in a disposable food container (like tupperware but made by glad) and add "mean green" cleaner from the dollar store, $5 a gallon.scrub if your in a hurry, i just let it soak a few days if i have time. i have very sensitive skin, so i recommend gloves but not absolutely necessary.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
I just give it a wipe with a rag and apply more oil, I very rarely clean it properly. It's usually dirty within five minutes of leaving the house so it's kind of futile trying to keep it clean.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
Lightbulb
02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Talha

08-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Last Post: mtb10

06-23-2020, 04:33 PM