Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bike does not move when pedaling.
Hello! i would like to ask if my bike is repairable. I was going up hill when all of a sudden my bike no longer moves when i pedal. i had to walk the rest of the way. When i pedal the bike i think it called crank arm seems to slip and the chain ring does not move. when i get off the bike and pedal by hand it moves tho.
What kind of bike do you have?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
sounds like the joint between the crank arm and the chain ring assembly has failed, on cheaper bikes, this is just a very basic peened over spline.
If this is a newish bike, it should be replaced under warranty.
If not, this is a job for your LBS as it can be difficult for the amatuer to get the right parts as not all chainsets are the same.
My dad gave it to as a replacement for my old bike. The brand is Vortex and it's a mountain bike. I might just get a new bike if i can't fix it myself.
As Trev said it sounds like a tough job but as a person who doesn't like to give is there any way to post a picture?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
only camera i got is my crappy phone's camera which is 3.2 mp. i can try to post a pic and a video if needed. i was thinking on fixies how much can they support? im a pretty big person so i am wondering if it even supports me lol.

Possibly Related Threads...