Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Some pics of the almost completed SS conversion
Hi all, I posted some pics a few wks ago of the start of this project and said I'd follow them up with some more when it was completed. Well here it is (minus seat and brakes but they're going on tomorrow Smile )

[attachment=1561]
[attachment=1562]
[attachment=1563]

For a first attempt I'm pleased with this. Converted the old geared freewheel to SS but I really need to get a cog with deeper teeth so the chain sits in place better - as it is the chain is likely to get thrown but hey at least I got a sweet chainline Wink
Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
T Roosevelt
90 views so far and not one comment.......a bit of feedback would be nice; good, bad or indifferent - I'll take anything Wink
Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
T Roosevelt
Finished the bike today

[attachment=1564]
T Roosevelt
Very cool!!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Looks like that would be fun to tool around on. Nice work.
It took plenty of toolin around to change the f****** thing to SS . . . it is fun tho you're right.

:-]
T Roosevelt
that is a sweet color. I want a bike that color.
I did it with 2 cans of spray paint, Montana Gold in baby blue to be specific.
(09-15-2010, 01:25 PM)TheButterflyCollector Wrote:  It took plenty of toolin around to change the f****** thing to SS

Just to add, the reason it took some messing around was because I wanted to reuse the old geared freewheel. So I took the freewheel apart then reassembled it using the 18 tooth cog only. Problem with that was the teeth on the cog were not high enough so the chain was getting thrown off all the time. The bike now has a rear wheel with a freehub and a 16T cog that I bought as part of a singlespeed conversion kit.
It looks really awesome. It's all about making it yours. I built a similar bike and it is so pretty. It doesn't get much action though. It just sits on the wall looking nice.
Cheers Jordan, you're right. Funny thing is this was an old bike than never saw much use and certainly wasn't well looked after before but now I'm almost scared to leave it locked up anywhere when I go out on it lol.
T Roosevelt
nice to see something given a new lease of life lol ... looks much fun

Boardman Team Road/Race Bike

Felt 620 MTB

I like it. Did you paint it? It looks great.
Is this not a reasonable place to ride?
Fantastic job, love the conversion and paint job. Reminds me of an old Bomber bike, my dad tried to spray paint for me. Was meant to be royal blue and came out baby blue. Twenty years ago, it was a shooting offense for cycling a baby blue bicycle.
That colour really compliments the style of the bike. Its not possible to look at this bike only once. You did an excellent job there mate.
Thanks for the positive comments guys, much appreciated. I use the bike regularly and used it a lot throughout winter and winter here in the UK was pretty bad this year so the bike took a pounding. It's currently looking much less pristine than in the pics above but I'm pleased to say the paint job has held up well albeit there are a few small chips to the paintwork in a couple of places but not much more than that.

I'm using those clip-on mountain bike mudguards at the mo but could really do with fitting some 'proper' mudguards that totally stop the water and crap off the road being thrown up when its wet.

Hope all your own projects are going well Smile
(04-02-2011, 12:13 PM)Mirk Wrote:  I like it. Did you paint it? It looks great.

Yep, stripped the frame of all its components (I left the forks on the frame though) then hung it up in the garage and spray painted it with 4 coats of white metal primer followed by 6 coats of baby blue paint.
(04-02-2011, 03:12 PM)doctordee Wrote:  Twenty years ago, it was a shooting offense for cycling a baby blue bicycle.

Yeah I know what you mean, I'd never have imagined I'd spray any bike of mine this colour 20 years ago either Big Grin I like it now though.
Psst I have one close to that color. http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1643.html
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Looks great, very clean looking bike!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Bill

03-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Bill