Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

MTB restoration project/single speed conversion
Hi, I'm hoping to convert this old, low end MTB (which I was kindly given a few yrs ago) into a singlespeed bike. So far all I've done is strip her down, sand the frame/forks, primed and added a top coat (light blue spray paint). Next step is to begin the rebuild (once I've added some decals that are winging their way to me by post as we speak and then added a final coat or two of clear laquer). I've taken some pics along the way and wondered if anyone had any clue about what make/model of bike this could be? It never had any badges or decals on it when I was given it so I've never been sure what it is exactly. I'm guessing it's possibly a Raleigh of some sort but I could well be wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated Smile

[Image: IMG_0332.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0358.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0408.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0421.JPG]
Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
T Roosevelt
The other thing I forgot to mention is that while I was sanding the frame I uncovered a frame number stamped on the lower part of the seat tube just above the bottom bracket. I'm not sure if this is a factory stamp or one put on by the previous owner as a security measure. Anyway here's a blurry photo of it. The number reads: CW91796573. Could this potentially help identify the make/model of the bike and if so does anyone know how I would go about doing that using this frame number? Thanks
Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
T Roosevelt
First I would like to commend you on a rather nice paint job! As for the make and model I am not to certain of. I'll try to do a couple searches on the net but can't promise anything.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks Bill, it's the first time I've given something like this a try so I spent a fair bit of time finding out how to go about it online first. I'm pleased with the way the painting turned out but it seems now is where the hard work really begins......I've gotta figure out how to separate my old 6 speed shimano freewheel so I can turn it into a singlespeed then hope to get the chainline right when it's all reassembled.......more research is definitely required! Thanks for your feedback though it's appreciated.
T Roosevelt
Hi Collector, you might be right about the bike being an older Raleigh. I have a 1991 or 92 Tangent model that I plan to convert to a hybrid, mainly for road cycling. I hate the old paint job. It is a white and black splatter paint. Mine didn't have a badge either. However, I still haven't found the serial number yet. But it sure looks like yours though. Smile

BTW, I wouldn't consider Raleigh a "low-end" bike. Just my opinion. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. I agree your Raleigh does look very similar. Does yours have a braze-on between the chainstays towards the end close to the bottom bracket? It's just visible in the pic I posted showing the frame after it'd been primed white. I presume this is a mudguard attachment? I've not noticed one on many other bikes since I've been taking note.

Yeah Raleigh is definitely a quality bike maker and probably the most popular choice of bike or at least used to be here in the UK I just meant that if mine is a Raleigh it's probably towards the lower end of the range. Still a decent bike though, it's been well used by me for a few years and by someone else before me and until recently still had most of the original components by the look of it. I couldn't have kept that maroon colour scheme though! Wink
(08-30-2010, 01:16 AM)TheButterflyCollector Wrote:  Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. I agree your Raleigh does look very similar. Does yours have a braze-on between the chainstays towards the end close to the bottom bracket? . . . I couldn't have kept that maroon colour scheme though! Wink

Yes, it does have a braze-on closer to the chainstay. He-he, yeah maroon is not a popular color around here. I have seen perfectly fine maroon (and pink) bikes go unsold for months. Smile

My top tube braze-ons are on top though, while yours are underneath it.

You might check that crank set. I think Shimano had a recall and replacement for it.

Good luck with your project. Keep us updated with pics.

Steve
^^ The crankset mentioned above is the "Biopace."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biopace

Steve
That's really interesting about the crankset Steve, I had no idea it was a Biopace crankset (I'd never heard of such a thing anyway nevermind knowing what it meant!). I wasn't intending re-using that crankset as it's well worn and would look out of place on the bike when it's rebuilt as it's so old and battered now.

I was just thinking after reading your last post that the light blue I've painted the bike would probably not be to lots of peoples' taste just like the maroon and it did take me some time to decide on the colour (I was going to have a go at painting it 2 different colours but thought I'd keep my first attempt as simple as possible) but in the end you can only go with what you like yourself and would be happy riding around on can't you? I'm happy with the colour and I guess that's all that matters Smile
(08-30-2010, 11:33 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  My top tube braze-ons are on top though, while yours are underneath it.

Yes I noticed that and also yours looks to have a double chainring whereas mine was a triple. Interestingly I never had any problems with the gearing, I could use all 3 front chainrings and all 6 at the back albeit I never needed to use the smallest front ring together with the smallest rear sprocket - that was just too low of a gear (or is it high?!) for the roads I mainly rode it on and would have had my legs spinning far too fast. On other bikes I've almost always had gearing/derailleur problems at some point but not with this bike.

It almost seems a shame to convert it to singlespeed but it's more about the process for me with this project as much as the end result if you know what I mean.
(08-31-2010, 02:47 AM)TheButterflyCollector Wrote:  That's really interesting about the crankset Steve, I had no idea it was a Biopace crankset (I'd never heard of such a thing anyway nevermind knowing what it meant!). . .
It almost seems a shame to convert it to singlespeed but it's more about the process for me with this project as much as the end result if you know what I mean.

I wasn't sure about yours being a Biopace though. And I do know what you mean about projects. Smile

Being a triple chainring, yours is probably a little newer than mine.

Steve
Woo nice job, I have a mtb I’m thinning of repainting.
Thanks, this is the finished bike (brakes are on upside down in this pic, they're now on the right way round!).
Congrats it looks very nice! I never did find anything on those number, I think KC-Steve was right! But awesome job it looks really nice. Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks Bill, much appreciated Smile
T Roosevelt
Is that a custom headbadge or just a sticker?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-10-2014, 02:13 AM
Last Post: 1FJEF

09-20-2013, 05:07 AM
Last Post: MorganIRL

07-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Last Post: nfmisso