Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Headset/Fork/Stem VERY loose
Hello,

Not sure if I should post this in the Headset or Fork forum, but I'll try the headset forum.

I'm a BMX rider from way back who isn't as familiar with the newer style 1 1/8 headsets. My brother built up a bike recently as a cruiser using an Azonic mountain bike frame and a pair of forks with a steering tube that was designed to be cut down to fit the frame used with the forks.

The bike is together, but there's MUCH movement in the headset/fork/stem area and we're kind of stumped how to make it any tighter. Is it possible that the steering tube needs to be cut down further or are we missing something else possibly?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Did you undo the pinch bolts on the stem before you adjusted the headset? this would mean you were simply tightening the top cap into the stem and not adjusting the headset at all (it's a fairly common mistake).

Also, bit of a stupid question but have you got enough spacers on the steerer? When you have put all the headset spacers and the stem on the steerer there should be about 2-3mm of the stem poking out above the steerer tube (some headsets are a bit stubborn so it may be worth giving the stack a light tap to make sure the compression ring is seated properly), and then apply the top cap.

Hope this helps
(08-27-2010, 12:06 PM)JonB Wrote:  Did you undo the pinch bolts on the stem before you adjusted the headset? this would mean you were simply tightening the top cap into the stem and not adjusting the headset at all (it's a fairly common mistake).

Also, bit of a stupid question but have you got enough spacers on the steerer? When you have put all the headset spacers and the stem on the steerer there should be about 2-3mm of the stem poking out above the steerer tube (some headsets are a bit stubborn so it may be worth giving the stack a light tap to make sure the compression ring is seated properly), and then apply the top cap.

Hope this helps

Thanks! My brother is coming by on Saturday, so we'll take a closer look.
As it turned out, my brother had cut the steering tube even with the stem, so this seemed to be the problem. We cut the steering tube down so it was just under the top of the stem and everything is great now.

Thanks again!
Remember to pinch the bolts after you tightened the top cap, it may seem to not wobble, but the top cap presses your headset together and WILL prevent anymore slipping.
Chuck Norris actually died 20 years ago, death just hasn't built up the courage to tell him yet.

Possibly Related Threads...