Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Recommended tool kits?
Hey all,
Anyone have and use a good home tool kit that they recommend? I sort of buy tools as needed right now but it's not overly cost effective in the long run. I was liking the look of the Park Tool ak-37 advanced mechanic kit. I'm by no means advanced but I like the look of the kit.

If you're not advanced, get the park tool starter kit, and the pcs-9 and as you get more advanced, add more tools.

You should consider the following:

1) What do you already own? It is not overly cost effective to buy another set of hex wrenches (the Park AWS are nice looking but can be impractical)

2) What do you need? Do you really need three different bottom bracket tools? Why is there no headset wrench (32mm / 36mm) in the tool set?

3) What about the quality? Do I need professional quality cone wrenches? Is the cheapo three way spoke wrench a good deal or should I rather get a Spokey?

4) Will you continue wrenching?

I already own a plethora of bike tools, so buying a set would not make sense for me. On the other hand, the bike tools from a set match and can be identified easily, to keep them apart from the other stuff in your workshop and they come in a nice box...

So, if you have the money to spend, few enough tools (so that you don't have two of everything), will continue wrenching (so you don't buy stuff you don't use), I'd say get the more advanced set.

And: get a torque wrench! (and a repair stand, or hang chains from the ceiling of your workshop...)
Also, depending on where you live, there are some shops that allow people to use the tools to do repairs themselves in a corner or on the sidewalk. Sometimes going there to use the tools that are often not used as much. You are going to need a set of wrenches frequently, but you probably won't use a bottom bracket removal tool on a regular basis. I think it would make more sense to get a starter kit and spend the money you saved over the advanced on a repair stand.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post