Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Getting correct bike tire to replace old one
Hello Bike experts,

I've recently bought a second hand bike and kind of feeling bamboolized now as I haven't paid enough attention to the tires. Anyway, the rear wheel tire fell apart today. I guess I need to replace the tire and the inner tube. I've taken a look at the tire and "26 1 3 / 8" printed on it.

I've found this tire on Walmart
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Sports-26-Beach-Cruiser-Bicycle-Tire/10400599

It is saying "Replaces tires with 1.75" to 2.125" size range ". I'm not sure whether that tire would replace my old one. Any advice would much appreciated. Also, could you also advise on the correct tube to buy?

Thank you!
It is hard to tell as we would need to know what the rim size is. Is it about an inch thick or more about 1.5" plus? 1 3/8th is more of a "road" size tire, so the tire that you posted, may not work as it will be too big.

Here is another one I found that is the same size: http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Street-Tire-Wire-Wall/dp/B00288P9X0

Here is a new tube that would work as well: http://www.amazon.com/Q-Tubes-1-3-Tube-ETRTO-136g/dp/B001CJX4GU

26" tires are generally more wide and I am not sure I have ever seen a 26" tire that was that narrow. But, they are obviously out there. Don't be afraid to take it to a local bike shop as well as they can tell you better.
Out of curiosity what kind of bike do you have to better assist? Picture or link to one on the net.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
A 26 x 1.75 tire will <u>NOT</u> fit. In fact, no Mtb style 26" tire will. 26 x 1 3/8 is an older size that is not compatible with "modern" 26" even though they both say 26. Sizes with decimals are generally not compatible with sizes that have fractions.

Next, there is actually two different 26 x 1 3/8 sizes. They are labeled as the same size, but they are not the same and will not fit each other. No, I'm not kidding...

But don't worry, you can get tires for this easily enough.

If the bike is a Schwinn or the tire/rim says "S-6", then you have the "Schwinn 26 x 1 3/8".
If not, then it is the "non-Schwinn 26 x 1 3/8" (aka EA3).
Both are readily available although you won't have a lot of choice of tread pattern. But you cannot use any other size.

Best to buy tubes to match although you can jam a regular 26" tube in there in an emergency.

Welcome to the wonderful world of bicycle tire sizing...

More info: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Cool information Dave, I was wandering maybe you could help me out. I have a Schwinn Traveler which has 27" 1/4 Sprint tires on it. Wandering if the 27" 1 3/8 tires and tubes would work?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I think all 27s are 27s so they should work. Don't know if I've ever seen a 27 x 1 3/8, but there you go. If it lists the ISO size on the tire somewhere and it says 630, you're good.
(06-11-2010, 11:40 AM)DaveM Wrote:  I think all 27s are 27s so they should work. Don't know if I've ever seen a 27 x 1 3/8, but there you go. If it lists the ISO size on the tire somewhere and it says 630, you're good.

Why thank you sir Smile . I do appreciate it.

Bill
Hi Thorben;

If you go to your local Wal-mart you should be able to find a tire that will fit. Wal-mart carries Bell brand tires with Kevlar® under the tread, which protects against flats due to glass, etc on the road.

Here are some that Amazon has:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D3404981&field-keywords=bike+tires+26+x+1+3%2F8&ih=6_2_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_1.254_322&fsc=-1
(06-11-2010, 10:10 AM)Bill Wrote:  Cool information Dave, I was wandering maybe you could help me out. I have a Schwinn Traveler which has 27" 1/4 Sprint tires on it. Wandering if the 27" 1 3/8 tires and tubes would work?

Hi Bill;

The Bell tires with Kevlar® that I purchased at Wal-mart say 27 x 1 3/8" & 1¼" on the box. They are rated for 90 psi, and for my commuting, I really appreciate the added protection of the Kevlar®.
Nigel
Your bike seems to have small rim if it only has a 26x1 3/8" tire on it. But wal mart doe's have tires for you and they also have the tubes you need for it too. I have two rim's here that use the same size tire they are getting harder to get too. But any good bike shop can get them for you too.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Thorben and Surly,
Thanks for your help, but I already ordered some tires and tubes rated at 100psi beating Walmart's cost through Amazon.com . If I am in a pinch then I know I could go there as an option. Again thank you both so much for your opinion.

Bill

Possibly Related Threads...