Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Miche Supertype left crank screw damaged
Hi to all!

I have Miche Supertype carbon (compact) crank set. I need to replace a screw from the left crank arm because it is damaged, so I can't tight it anymore. I couldn't find any possible way to get the screw (it has in center 8mm hexagonal hole) out of crank arm, and maybe to make a new one to replace it. Did anyone have a problem like this, or have any idea to resolve it. Here is a image of crankset:

Thanks with best regards
Contact the manufacturer to see if they have any cheap replacements.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(05-08-2010, 05:32 PM)Bill Wrote:  Contact the manufacturer to see if they have any cheap replacements.

I sent them a message, and expecting reply now. I know some mechanics who can make a new screw for me, but I don't know how to get it out of crank arm. Sad

I will take a picture of that crank arm and upload here to see how it looks like.
Yes sorry I guess I should have asked that. Let me see take a gander (look) after you upload the pic.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
What exactly is the problem with getting it out. Sounds like you need a 8mm allen wrench. If its frozen soak it with "Liquid Wrench overnight and give it a sharp rap once in a while. An impact driver would help. Although with carbon stuff I would not get to rough.

If its stripped from over tightening and spins but does not unscrew than you may need to drill it out with a drill bit smaller than screw threads a bit at a time and than collapse the screw and get the bits out. Maybe a job for machine shop.

If you can get the good side screw out you can find a match in a hardware store unless its special.
Use blue or green locktite screw holder on re installation
Never Give Up!!!
Wow, I just looked at the price of this crank, man definitely take it to a machinist to remove the screw and make sure the female thread is not striped. Could be just chased and cleaned.
Never Give Up!!!
Hi there, did you ever resolve the issue with your crank? I have same crank same problem

Cheers
(11-02-2011, 01:15 AM)Mark Wrote:  Hi there, did you ever resolve the issue with your crank? I have same crank same problem

Cheers

Yes I did. I sent a message to MICHE factory. They responded to me immediately, and said to send them the damaged crank arm, to replace the screw without any compensation and sent me back. And so it was! After max 2 weeks I had a repaired crank arm with new LONGER screw, all for free. That was at May 2010, and until today I didn't have any new problems!

Cheers
(11-02-2011, 07:32 AM)shimans Wrote:  
(11-02-2011, 01:15 AM)Mark Wrote:  Hi there, did you ever resolve the issue with your crank? I have same crank same problem

Cheers

Yes I did. I sent a message to MICHE factory. They responded to me immediately, and said to send them the damaged crank arm, to replace the screw without any compensation and sent me back. And so it was! After max 2 weeks I had a repaired crank arm with new LONGER screw, all for free. That was at May 2010, and until today I didn't have any new problems!

Cheers

thanks for the prompt reply ...i had an email from miche arrive today (delayed reply due to holidays there apparently) ...they have asked the same of me ...so all is looking very positive

regards

Possibly Related Threads...