Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New tools/old bike (Bianchi Touring)?
Hello everybody,

I've decided to leap in and rebuild my early 80s Bianchi touring bike. It's been in storage for a long time, and now with spring trying to arrive, it's time to get it back on the road. Sure, I could take it to the LBS for the work, but that's fun about that? Smile

I also ignored someone's advice against riding new road bikes (apparently because the comparison wouldn't go well for my old blue Bianchi), and so I also have a new Specialized Ruby that I want to maintain myself.

I got a work stand (Park PCS-4) that I think would hold my car if the clamp was big enough. Smile But other than a chain cleaning gadget, a few Allen wrenches, and the multi-tool that's in my seatbag, I don't have any tools.

So my question is this: have bike components stayed standard enough since I bought my Bianchi that a kit such as the Park AK-37 would work for both of my bikes? Or will I need different tools for the older bike? I don't mind spending the money, but I don't want to waste it on stuff I can't use, either.

Thanks!
Wait until the others reply, but Yeeeup that would be a VERY good start. After that you may run into little things you may need here and there but as for general that would DEFINITELY cover a lot lol. Very nice choice Big Grin .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-09-2010, 06:41 PM)Bill Wrote:  Wait until the others reply, but Yeeeup that would be a VERY good start. After that you may run into little things you may need here and there but as for general that would DEFINITELY cover a lot lol. Very nice choice Big Grin .

Thanks, Bill!

I used to do most of my own car work (tune ups and stuff) until I got one that I'm convinced is smarter than I am, so it'll be fun to break out some tools and learn a new kind of mechanics! Besides, I've missed my old bike a lot, even if it is a little too tall for me. We went a lot miles together and I'm looking forward to resuming the fun.

Patty
I agree with Bill, the AK-37 will be more than enough to start with. Do like the rest of us, and start with the basics, and buy only what you need afterwards. If you're not building up tools for a shop (Like Bill and myself Big Grin), only buy what you need, keep the cost down, and enjoy wrenching on your own bike. Few things compare to having a properly tuned bike you did yourself.

Have fun!
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
You are welcome Patty!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is the crank removal tool, depending on the brand of your crankset. If it is an old Zeus or Stronglight the removal tool won't fit. Also, if you have a Maillard Helicomatic hub you will have to get the correct tool for that. Those are the only problems I have with modern toolsets and my Peugeot.

If you can do car maintenance you can do bikes. I think cars are more complicated (most difficult thing I did was replacing the front bearings on my VW Golf II). Good luck and have fun!
(04-10-2010, 02:42 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is the crank removal tool, depending on the brand of your crankset. If it is an old Zeus or Stronglight the removal tool won't fit. Also, if you have a Maillard Helicomatic hub you will have to get the correct tool for that. Those are the only problems I have with modern toolsets and my Peugeot.

If you can do car maintenance you can do bikes. I think cars are more complicated (most difficult thing I did was replacing the front bearings on my VW Golf II). Good luck and have fun!

Thanks, Joe. I ordered the tool set and it should be here within a day or two. I'm a bit excited to open it up and see what's there. And thanks for pointing out where I might need different tools for the older bike. I'll take a look at it.

And I agree that it's gotta be easier to work on a bike than a car. The hardest auto job I ever did was to replace a timing chain on my 1964 Plymouth Belvedere. I loved that car and I drove it until it just wouldn't go any more. And it was easy to work on. I thoroughly enjoy the car I have now, but when I look under the hood, I can only assume that what's there is what makes the car go, because I sure don't recognize much of it!

So how I can work on my bikes instead! Much more fun...

Patty
Wink yeah, they started covering the whole intestines with plastics. Timing chain is probably not too difficult, you just have to be very careful (hm, not the correct word... more like: follow the instructions very closely). I wouldn't do it since you can completely wreck the engine, but I'm a coward, so: good to know you trust your mechanical abilities! Gotta sell my car soon, ain't gonna make through the technical inspections (every second year, now due) -> I'll sell it to somebody who'll ship it to Africa and buy a bike trailer instead (haven't really used the car in the last year).

Well, concerning the ancient tools: I just took a look at the pic in the other thread: I think it is a Truvativ crank set, so no problems there. I don't know about the rear hub, but I assume that it has a thread on freewheel, so you are safe there, too. You'll just need the correct freewheel removal tool, I don't know if it is included in your magic box (too darn lazy at the moment to look it up).
(04-13-2010, 10:40 AM)BikeCrazyAgain Wrote:  
(04-10-2010, 02:42 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is the crank removal tool, depending on the brand of your crankset. If it is an old Zeus or Stronglight the removal tool won't fit. Also, if you have a Maillard Helicomatic hub you will have to get the correct tool for that. Those are the only problems I have with modern toolsets and my Peugeot.

Thanks, Joe. I ordered the tool set and it should be here within a day or two. I'm a bit excited to open it up and see what's there. And thanks for pointing out where I might need different tools for the older bike. I'll take a look at it.

And I agree that it's gotta be easier to work on a bike than a car. The hardest auto job I ever did was to replace a timing chain on my 1964 Plymouth Belvedere. I loved that car and I drove it until it just wouldn't go any more. And it was easy to work on. I thoroughly enjoy the car I have now, but when I look under the hood, I can only assume that what's there is what makes the car go, because I sure don't recognize much of it!

So how I can work on my bikes instead! Much more fun...

Patty
We had that same car my dad love that push drive button it had. And it was easy to work on cars back then. Todays cars well get ready to be took at the shops. That's one more reason I ride my bikes as much as I can now days. It saves me money at the pump and I can work on my own bicycles. And it helps me to not smoke as well too.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-24-2022, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Elvis

07-10-2021, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Jesper

06-15-2021, 04:51 AM
Last Post: Jesper