Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Crank Threads stripped
Okay, so I stripped the threads when screwing in the crank arm removal tool. I can't can't get it to catch when screwing it on now, and therefore, can't get the crank off. Does anyone know a way I can still get the crank off within just taking a vice and hammer to it? Please help!
Thanks in advance!
matt
You are basically screwed. I still don't really know how my LBS managed to remove the cranks (they were seized to the spindle), but I think he disassembled the bottom bracket and removed the crank arm afterwards. I still have to ask him, though I am not quite sure if he remembers.
One way you can get it off is to use a two jaw gear puller. After you get it off you know you will need to replace it with a new crank set. And you might as well put in a new BB as well. Next time you get ready to pull off your crank add a little oil to the crank puller first and put a little on the crank threads as well it will let you do your job a lot more easy and want cost you as much. Hope this helps.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
I had this happen on a next power climber that was recently restored. What I did was sprayed it with wd-40 (let it soak) put the crank puller back in, may have been cross threaded though the first time, and then took a hammer lightly tapped around the sides of the crank and tightened the insert bolt gradually until it came off. Now in your case I do not know if my method would work or not. Joe's LBS more then likely took off the opposite side (including the assembly that held it in) then unloosened the stuck crank side. Surly's idea would work too but you will need to make sure the bolt of the two jaw gear puller fits inside the crank to touch the axle/spindle. Also I was wandering did you take out the Bolt/Nut that holds it on?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Ultimate, I broke out the hacksaw and hammer. after a lot of cursing and arms burning, its off!! Now, shopping for the new BB and cranks.....
(04-08-2010, 01:30 PM)Thor Wrote:  Ultimate, I broke out the hacksaw and hammer. after a lot of cursing and arms burning, its off!! Now, shopping for the new BB and cranks.....

Congrats glad you got it to come. The burning sensation in your arms will go away in a couple days Wink . (Been there)
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I'm sure you've fixed it by now but I did the same thing the other day. The cranks were dirty- I screwed about 1/4th of the puller's threads in and ended up just pulling them out. I used a wire brush to clean it up and then lubricated everything. That worked fine with a steady hand and some patience.
(04-08-2010, 01:30 PM)Thor Wrote:  Ultimate, I broke out the hacksaw and hammer. after a lot of cursing and arms burning, its off!! Now, shopping for the new BB and cranks.....

I've got a similar problem in that although I managed to get the front cassette off with out any problem, the pedal on the other side now has stripped threads. Having tried the other suggestions, the only thing that I can think will work is to cut the pedal off. Did you cut the pedal or the main crank? And what tools did you use as I will probably have to buy at least some of them...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-19-2021, 12:00 AM
Last Post: rbx

06-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Last Post: garrett01

05-06-2015, 01:38 AM
Last Post: eastman