Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

V-Brake Lever
Will V-Brake Lever work with Cantilever Brakes. I am now thinking about building me a Mountain Bike lol. Like I need one more bike to work on. We only live once so why not enjoy it while we can I say. I got all the parts I need ready to order when the time comes.
Which I hope want be to long from now. I'm just not sure what kind of shifters I want the frame I have pick out does not have down tube mounts on it so I'm not sure what to look for anyone have idea's on this matter? Why did I ever start to working on bicycles all it does is make me spend money lol. But I do have a good time building and working on them and love to ride them as well. Nashbar has some good deals on mountain bike frames if anyone is looking for them.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
(03-17-2010, 11:40 PM)Surly LHT Wrote:  Will V-Brake Lever work with Cantilever Brakes.
They will "work" but not really... the amount of cable pulled is different, so do yourself a favour and get Canti break levers. If you want to build an MTB: go with hydraulic disc brakes, V-brakes and Cantis are... nice but disc brakes are vastly superior (except in maintenance)...

Quote: I am now thinking about building me a Mountain Bike lol. Like I need one more bike to work on. We only live once so why not enjoy it while we can I say. I got all the parts I need ready to order when the time comes.
Which I hope want be to long from now. I'm just not sure what kind of shifters I want the frame I have pick out does not have down tube mounts on it so I'm not sure what to look for anyone have idea's on this matter?
You wouldn't want down tube shifters on a MTB anyway. Having to reach down while on a rough trail because you misjudged the needed gear is... not nice.
Quote:Why did I ever start to working on bicycles all it does is make me spend money lol. But I do have a good time building and working on them and love to ride them as well. Nashbar has some good deals on mountain bike frames if anyone is looking for them.
Thanks Joe_W thats what I needed to know. I found the Shimano cantilever set for just a few dollars more very little at that. This mountain bike I want to build will not be use as most people do. I just want one to have to ride around the town and go off road now and then so I think the cantilevers brakes will do me just find I don't like disc brakes anyway lol. When I say off road its more like a dirt road in the park not going to race or go as fast as I can lol. I ride very slow I like to look as I ride enjoy it more this way or I do anyway. Your info was a great help many thanks.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-01-2021, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Lemon

03-08-2020, 02:34 PM
Last Post: G_M

08-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Last Post: sidmarx