Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Locks
hey im wondering what are some good locks i should use while parking my bike? and what kind do you use?
I suggest the better Kryptonite and Abus locks. Both are rated quite high by insurance companies. Expect to pay at least 60€ for a good lock. On the correct use of locks: http://www.streetfilms.org/hal-grades-your-bike-locking/ very nice vid...
Thanks Joe very good information and good video Smile .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
THANKS! yeah i saw krytonite u locks at my local bike shop, but it was like $50-60 thought it was overpriced.
I paid around 80$ for my kryptonite Fahgettaboudit 1415 chain lock and I have no regrets.
Plus the extra weight(It weighs quite a bit) I carry around on my bike makes me stronger.
oo nice! seems like the more you $ the more protection u get from your locks. like dollar store locks are problem worse one. Big Grin thanks, ill probably a u lock kryotonite
I use a kryptonite cable through the front and back wheels as they are quick release and lock it to something solid like a lamp post with a kryptonite U lock.
Cannondale, handmade in USA............................................Refined in Surrey, England.
- Cannondale F500, Kona Blast, Kona Caldera-
o nice! how much did ur cost though?
I got mine a while ago so to be honest not really sure, the bike shop I bought them from was doing a package deal on both, it wasn't expensive, about £30-40, not much really compared to the cost of replacing the bike if stolen.

This is what I got.
Cannondale, handmade in USA............................................Refined in Surrey, England.
- Cannondale F500, Kona Blast, Kona Caldera-
Locks? Can you find the bike in the photo below? (credit "thereifixedit.com")
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
In all honesty, if someone wants your bike they will get it unless they have to fight you for it. Now days there are battery-operated tools that can easily defeat any lock in seconds. I don't want to tell which tools because too many bikes are stolen as is. The old saying, "locks only keep honest people honest" seems to be timeless.

O'Steve
Happy St. Patrick's Day
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Very true if someone wants something off of it they will try at nothing short to get it. Love the pic Steve, hate to be the guy who carried all those locks around big man I bet! lol
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
ooo thanks!

haha nice pic. that is like me atm, using like 7-8 different locks on my bike while on rack @ shops

and btw for locks, it seems like the "U" lock one are the best, but they are different kind of keys... which key is recommended? the cylinder shaped? or a regular key teeth?
Well, they are usually after the components, so on an ahead steerer they'll remove the four screws from the stem, cut the cables, and walk off with your shifters (threaded headset: one screw, off you go). Quick release wheels are gone even faster. Basically, what you buy with a lock is time. If it looks too much of a hassle, the thief will move on to the next bike, there is usually one. I was even told if they want to get all components they might even saw the frame in half... *shakes head* Scum!
wow....better off put a tracking device, or make bicycle a license. Big Grin my idea, so basically it depends on the thief...
The cartoon below has a good little excerpt about the lady that works at the kickstand making a tracking device. I have a suggestion but lol not gonna post it, somethings are better off not written or said Big Grin
Well, there is also one of the comics where Yehooda sees a thief trying to steal a bike and applies his U-lock to that ba.. ... lovechild. So a lock comes in very handy.
(03-17-2010, 07:16 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  Locks? Can you find the bike in the photo below? (credit "thereifixedit.com")

This picture is so fantastic! I think two of them are enough to lock the bike.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-04-2016, 02:03 AM
Last Post: Alexanderwhite