Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

My one pedal is stuck... is it my crank?
I don't know much about bikes... I just bought an 86 Bianchi a few months ago. All was working fine until I tried to ride back from work and noticed my one pedal was completely stuck.... wouldn't move at all so I had to walk it back. Is it a problem with the crank? If so, does this mean I'd have to replace the thing, or is it something that can be fixed (that I can hopefully fix myself). I have all the tools to fix it and stuff, just not sure where to start, and I can't find anyone with similar problems on the forum. Thanks.
So the pedal would not rotate? Maybe the bearings are shot. You might be able to overhaul them or just install new pedals. Carefully examine the pedal, is there damage visible? Somebody posted a pic of a broken pedal some days ago (Bill?)
Thanks for your quick response. Yes... it won't rotate. Noticed it was a little tight a week or so ago, and it worked fine on the way to work... and on the way back.. just done. I don't see any hard damage... maybe some rust since unfortunately I just leave it outside. I guess that could have done it. We had a really bad snow here for a few weeks... and the bike just sat in it, could that be the culprit? Also if it's rust do I have to replace stuff... or can I fix it? I'll look for the pic of the pedal though to try to examine. I'll try to post a pic when I get home so maybe someone could clearly see some obvious problem that I can't. Thanks!
Some pedals can be overhauled and some can't.
If you can post a pic' it may help us to advise you.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
Thank you! I will post a pic later this evening when I'm home from work. Hopefully you guys can check back to help me out then. I really appreciate it.
(03-16-2010, 01:15 PM)AdisixBianchi Wrote:  Thank you! I will post a pic later this evening when I'm home from work. Hopefully you guys can check back to help me out then. I really appreciate it.

Very true some (Lower End) cannot be replaced here is a picture of a broken pedal. Here are a couple of pictures for instructional purposes....
They may not be the same since your bike is an '86 model. NOTE you will probably only have to replace the Pedals (they come in pairs) if you look at the top of this post there is a link to Alex' tutorial on how to replace your pedal, or http://bikeride.com/replace-pedals/ . First do post a pic or two so we can see if it maybe something more simpler. Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
This is an edit, where I typed, "Very true some (Lower End) cannot be replaced" I meant to say REPAIRED, lol . Sorry about that.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Nice Work Bill you The Man
After you get the pedal off be sure and use this one tool on it it will fix anything. My one and only Sledge a matic lol.
No don't use that tool I have use it more than I should have too lol. Just replace your pedals with good ones.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-24-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: Jesper

07-19-2021, 12:00 AM
Last Post: rbx

02-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Lighttower