Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Convert regular hub to push button hub?
I have been wanting to build myself a simple cargo trailer for some time and yesterday came across a discarded bicycle trailer beside a trash bin. It was a child carrier type (still has all the coverings etc for that), but the wheels are missing, as well as the tow bar attachment.

I have seen these trailers around and the wheels have those push button hubs to remove them from the frame. I am wondering is it possible to convert a couple of regular bicycle wheels by removing the guts of the hub and installing these push button types (if so, where to find these hub assemblies) or can you somehow put a long enough bolt thru the wheel hub and frame...it wouldn't be quick release but functional.

I don't have any rear wheels around at the moment to experiment on by taking them apart and seeing just how they go together...it may be obvious if I could do this.

Any suggestions welcome!
(03-15-2010, 09:26 PM)Black_Blade Wrote:  I have been wanting to build myself a simple cargo trailer for some time and yesterday came across a discarded bicycle trailer beside a trash bin. It was a child carrier type (still has all the coverings etc for that), but the wheels are missing, as well as the tow bar attachment.

I have seen these trailers around and the wheels have those push button hubs to remove them from the frame. I am wondering is it possible to convert a couple of regular bicycle wheels by removing the guts of the hub and installing these push button types (if so, where to find these hub assemblies) or can you somehow put a long enough bolt thru the wheel hub and frame...it wouldn't be quick release but functional.

I don't have any rear wheels around at the moment to experiment on by taking them apart and seeing just how they go together...it may be obvious if I could do this.

Any suggestions welcome!

That sounds like an awesome project. I can offer this advice find a couple of older child's bike like 18" or smaller and use the front wheels instead of the rear. Another idea is maybe using an older wheel chair wheels. Also here is an awesome website that a lot of friends use .. http://www.instructables.com . Either way you go let us know how it turns out.

Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I'd (probably) go with front wheels, though it doesn't matter. You have to find out what the axle diameter and threading of those hubs is. If it is the same as on the wheels you have you can just swap the axles. I'd say quite probably not more than 1 hour work. Finding the correct push button axle might be the difficult part, though. What I would do: get a kids bike form the scrap bin, get the hubs, relace the wheels. I'd try to find hubs with the same flange diameter and roughly the same flange distance so you I could reuse the spokes.

Most homebuilt trailers I have seen use some kind of fork around the wheels, so they can use regular bike wheels.
(03-16-2010, 07:08 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  I'd (probably) go with front wheels, though it doesn't matter. You have to find out what the axle diameter and threading of those hubs is. If it is the same as on the wheels you have you can just swap the axles. I'd say quite probably not more than 1 hour work. Finding the correct push button axle might be the difficult part, though. What I would do: get a kids bike form the scrap bin, get the hubs, relace the wheels. I'd try to find hubs with the same flange diameter and roughly the same flange distance so you I could reuse the spokes.

Most homebuilt trailers I have seen use some kind of fork around the wheels, so they can use regular bike wheels.

I have never tried to re lace a wheel, so that would be an adventure I'm sure...Smile Since I have this trailer frame already that is designed for the push button type of hubs, I would like to go that route if possible. If not then maybe try a long regular bolt thru instead? Will have to take a tour around town looking for bike wheels or discarded bikes. Always see them when not looking for anything...lol.
Lacing is not difficult, truing is (well, a bit)... Don't hesitate to ask here if you run into problems doing that. There are some more or less experienced wheelbuilders here.

Possibly Related Threads...