Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Convert a 21 speed to a 7 speed
I would like to simplify my Bridgestone to a single chain ring and remove the front derailleur. What is the best way to do this? Thanks for this site.

Does <a href="http://forums.bikeride.com/topic/87">this topic</a> help?

Yes, Thank you.

two ways to do this. first decide how many tooth you want your ring. second realize it will be a give and take to do this mod. If you use your triple you have now and just use your big ring you will not have an effective low gear, to much crossover. if you narrow your spindle you have remove your original granny gear if you can.If you replace your crank with a single you will probably have go to a more narrow spindle also.

It also makes a difference with what kind of shifters you have ( are the separate from the brake levers? ) tell me more about your ride and equipment.

I have done 21 to 14 speed mods with great results, but it does take a little extra cash. my favorite ride is just that, handles like a mountain bike and tops out like road bike. 53/39 tooth up front 11/30 cogs in back 700c wheels

things to swap are:
grip shifters for deore top mount thumb shifters
crank and rings
narrower bottom bracket
chain
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Do you realize that you are responding to a post that is 3 years old? Hopefully the original poster has an answer by now!! I see they have not been on this site since 2009.
thanks a lot, I just lost three years of my life
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...