Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

First short ride
So I've been itching to get out their and ride but the cold and snow has been setting me back. For some not a problem but I'm coming off a 20+ year lull in biking so it was important for me to have dry conditions on my first run. Plus I just bought a new bike so I wanted her to have a nice ride too.

Anyway I went out today the temperature was around 40 and I did 5 miles. I want to go back out now but I am afraid I will pay for it later if I push it too much in terms of legs and rumpus neither of which feel too bad right now.

Good time riding though my face and hands got the coldest.
Just a tip of what I do before going out is stretch really good before getting on the bike. 5 miles is awesome for that length of time. Your right on not to push yourself too hard. Ride the same for a week then move up to about 8-10miles the next week and so on.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(03-05-2010, 03:29 PM)Bill Wrote:  Just a tip of what I do before going out is stretch really good before getting on the bike. 5 miles is awesome for that length of time. Your right on not to push yourself too hard. Ride the same for a week then move up to about 8-10miles the next week and so on.

Thanks Bill for the advice and yes I did stretch before the ride, felt it would be a good idea! Can't wait till tomorrow and I will not push it too hard for too long staying with the 5 mile mark. Perhaps I'll do more sprinting here and there to build endurance and stamina although I'm not in training or anything like that just like to ride. Who knows whats around the corner??!!
Periodized and interval training is the best for increasing your endurance (Or ride in Denver for a month.Big Grin), but after a 20+ year lull, just ride casually for a while. A week or two. In those two weeks, get a cycling computer so you can track your progress. You'll be race shape in no time!

But don't forget... Ever forget... To have FUN.Smile
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
Way to go! When I got back into cycling last year I started on a 4 to 5 mile route around my house for about a week then moved up to 7 to 8, 10 to 12 etc. Before I knew it I was pedaling out 20+ miles on consecutive days. I know this may be warm up rides for some but that first 20 mile ride was a huge milestone for me.

It was a great day today and I pulled the new Giant out of the garage for its first longer ride. I have only been able to put 11 miles on it over the last two weeks due to the cold. Managed to put 18 miles on the thing and it was sweet!! Anyway, keep pedaling and the miles will come easier, again way to go knocking out those 5 miles.
Also note one thing: You should not go too fast first. This is actually one of the simplest and most neglected rules when picking up training... try to build up some stamina slowly and get used to it. Then, increase distance and intensity slowly.