Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the September Giveaway to Win the Luckeep X1 Pro ebike

How do I set up my suspension for different types of terrain?
Okay, so setting up my suspension correctly can greatly improve my ride for safety, especially going downhill on rough terrain with confidence.

What are your suggestions on how I set my full suspension?
In my downhill experience, I think a firmer setting is better, prioritizing shock absorption.

If you go on the softer side, then the elevated shock will create concentric resistance, which negatively impacts your acceleration, drive, and especially your balance. The suspension is there to absorb these shocks as much as possible so they don't beat you up, cause your motor neurons to knock-out absorbing them personally, and then cause your muscles to give-out on you during a hard pass or a tough shock absorption.

You want to check the shock or it's firm, but not so firm that your bike effectively becomes rigid. This will cause the shockwaves to transcend through into the frame, seat, pedals, etc. Effectively having the same consequence as if your shock settings are too soft.
(06-25-2024, 12:44 AM)Flowrider Wrote:  Okay, so setting up my suspension correctly can greatly improve my ride for safety, especially going downhill on rough terrain with confidence.

What are your suggestions on how I set my full suspension?

It really depends on personal preference, the best suggestion other people can give is doing manuals near your bike work station until you find the best setting for your bike.

Goodluck and enjoy!
I'm riding tomorrow on an up-and-down trail, so I will start full and move it as I ride to see what works for me.

Thanks for the input guys!

Possibly Related Threads...