Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shimano Freehub Compatabiliy
Hi guys so I was having some issues with my chain coming off in my highest gear and it seems my freehub needs serviced. So was trying to find a shop to do it. I've been happy to do all other repairs so far but needed this sorted quickly and did not feel too confident to try myself right now.

Went to a place nearby and they said that with these shimano freehubs they are not easy to clean and service like other brands and it's better to just replace. Then they checked shimano website and of course atm parts ain't available.

The freehub body I apparantly need is Y48u98040. The wheel is shimano wh-rs010. Only one place seems to have the exact freehub online and its very expensive to ship here. I read that only this exact part works with this wheel but is that really true? It's a 10 speed cassette. Any suggestions much appreciated. Going to try and call another shop tomorrow. Starting to get a bit stressed as I have an event coming up soon and I should really be training so that I can complete it at least haha.

Thanks again for any advice Smile
(08-10-2021, 01:25 AM)AlexTheKid Wrote:  Hi guys so I was having some issues with my chain coming off in my highest gear and it seems my freehub needs serviced. So was trying to find a shop to do it. I've been happy to do all other repairs so far but needed this sorted quickly and did not feel too confident to try myself right now.

Went to a place nearby and they said that with these shimano freehubs they are not easy to clean and service like other brands and it's better to just replace. Then they checked shimano website and of course atm parts ain't available.

The freehub body I apparantly need is Y48u98040. The wheel is shimano wh-rs010. Only one place seems to have the exact freehub online and its very expensive to ship here. I read that only this exact part works with this wheel but is that really true? It's a 10 speed cassette. Any suggestions much appreciated. Going to try and call another shop tomorrow. Starting to get a bit stressed as I have an event coming up soon and I should really be training so that I can complete it at least haha.

How was it determined that the freehub itself was the problem? Is the derailleur properly set-up via the limit screws?
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(08-10-2021, 11:13 PM)Jesper Wrote:  
(08-10-2021, 01:25 AM)AlexTheKid Wrote:  Hi guys so I was having some issues with my chain coming off in my highest gear and it seems my freehub needs serviced. So was trying to find a shop to do it. I've been happy to do all other repairs so far but needed this sorted quickly and did not feel too confident to try myself right now.

How was it determined that the freehub itself was the problem? Is the derailleur properly set-up via the limit screws?

Issue started a month or so ago. The derailleur cage was a little bent. I ended up replacing the whole derailleur as it was quite cheap (and it was hard to find a replacement cage for the one have) and then could fix the old one later to have as a spare. New derailleur on, and limit screws set correctly. If i pedal quickly and then stop you can see the chain dip down. If I pedal backwards the chain dips and at times comes off. Chain is also new and lubricated. At this stage the only other thing causing it seems to be that the freehub is not spinning freely enough. This has been advised on another forum and by two bike shops. One of which was unable to look at it properly due to closing for a holiday period and the other unable to find the part when I went there. They have however since contacted me and said they were able to find it and should be able to fix it in a week. However I'd still love to know the answer to this question and understand what the compatibility between different freehubs are if anyone has more information , that would be amazing. Thanks
Any series freehub body that matches the port profile will work for Shimano.

Make sure you matching the 'internal' or 'external' profile of the port.

For example, this right here:

https://www.performancebike.com/shimano-ultegra-wh6700r-freehub-body-w-seal-fixing-bolt-and-washer-y4fp98050/

They are not really hard to clean and service either. Spray them with degreaser, hose them, then soak them in a thin synthetic motor oil overnight before installing. Make sure you soak the new one like this before installing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

01-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

05-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Last Post: mmontero