Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

COLNAGO ASSO
Colnago "ASSO" (Ace), 2001(+/- yr). Comfortable for an alloy frame; has carbon fork w/alloy crown/dropouts and steel steerer so that helps the ride a lot. Retrieved from up north and nearly ready to go. I had forgotten that I had everything ready, but separated the bike from the parts by 1000 miles. Will finish pronto; Dura-Ace brakes and crankset, and 105 shift gear. I found a Hoskar saddle w/ yellow "Colnago" embroidery (original "factory/catalogue" saddle for 2001) to match. Of course LOOK pedals for me. I will be throwing on a yellow "Mutant" stem, much smoother looking (like a real race bike) than the adjustable stem (guy should have bought a beach cruiser not a road bike) which was added by previous owner. I've ridden this bike before rebuilding and it's a blast; considering that it's about 2" / 5cm too big for me.

Might be a bike/frame I'll let go of, but would like one in my size to replace it if anyone has one smaller.

Take care,
Jesper

Edit: Shimano WH 500 wheelset.

Attached Files Image(s)

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I like it, thumbs up. Even have Dura-ace components. Do you know the model of those cranks? Interesting choice of stem (by the previous owner). Yellow Mutant stem will fit perfectly with the color scheme and frame, I have noticed that it (mutant) is your favourite Wink
Autobahn
(03-06-2020, 08:05 PM)G_M Wrote:  ....Do you know the model of those cranks?.....

The cranks are model 7800; I thought that they were late 7700 series so I verified it. The calipers are 7700; probably why I was confused. I have D-A, and Ultegra rings; "U" rings finished in dark grey.
Take care,
Jesper

oh yes -> i can smell the early 00's here, fierce ride
Nice bike! My 2012 Colnago ACE. Not quite as flashy as yours but still one heck of a bike.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=414]
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(05-07-2020, 01:32 PM)JohnV Wrote:  Nice bike! My 2012 Colnago ACE. Not quite as flashy as yours but still one heck of a bike.

Hi John,
Nice Colnago you have there; I'm not really familiar with their line up after 2000. The lines on your bike look very clean and the striping certainly helps emphasize that. I'm sure it's a higher level of ride than the ASSO, which was essentially the "cheap" version of the DREAM frame. I am little irritated due to not being able to to find my cranks for it after a couple moves; it should have been back on the road by now. I'm more of a steel frame guy myself, but I still have an appreciation of more modern designs and materials. The ASSO, for an aluminum frame is quite comfortable. I had to down size my bikes when moving and parted with a nice example of a Colnago Nouvo Mexico, thankfully it went to a friend and I still can see it and maybe (if he's willing) take it out for a ride. He just posted it on another site, should see if he'll post it here as my photo(s) suck.
Thanks again for posting your bike.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

My ACE was considered the entry level carbon frame for the Colnago line in 2012. It has Ultegra components with a Tiagra crank set and Colnago brakes in order to keep the price down. However, for an "entry level" bike, it was still over $3,000 and since it's an endurance frame, it's not UCI certified.

My other Colnago, the 2017 CRS, is also their entry level carbon frame model for that year. But it has a racing geometry, also has Ultegra/105 mixed components (crank and FD) and also goes for over $3,000. It's also not UCI certified. I now see that the CRS is no longer available and has been replaced with the CLX model. Not sure what it costs but being it's a Colnago, I'm sure it's not cheap.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(05-16-2020, 10:40 AM)JohnV Wrote:  My ACE was considered the entry level carbon frame for the Colnago line in 2012. It has Ultegra components with a Tiagra crank set and Colnago brakes in order to keep the price down. However, for an "entry level" bike, it was still over $3,000 and since it's an endurance frame, it's not UCI certified.

My other Colnago, the 2017 CRS, is also their entry level carbon frame model for that year. But it has a racing geometry, also has Ultegra/105 mixed components (crank and FD) and also goes for over $3,000. It's also not UCI certified. I now see that the CRS is no longer available and has been replaced with the CLX model. Not sure what it costs but being it's a Colnago, I'm sure it's not cheap.

Thanks for the info John, I do have a Colnago carbon frame from the early 90s, but it's an alloy lugged frame not a monocoque style; still working at getting some wheels for it. I will probably never have a frame such as yours since I don't seriously race, but I guess for what l do participate in those non-UCI legal frames wouldn't matter if used. Curious as to where those frames are actually made; Colnago designed, but are they Colnago built. Seems like all these frames (Colnago, et al.) that would now be considered mass produced are coming out of the same factories in general. I think there is a dedicated carbon frame factory in Italy making low volume custom frames, but I may be mistaken. I'm sure if one of those bikes that you have "falls in my lap", I would grab it just to get an idea of how they perform. Were your groupsets both stock off the rack? It seems like an odd set to have Ultregra paired with Tiagra, but I'm really not familiar with the Tiagra, it's a lot newer than anything I have for Shimano fit bikes; probably more common on bikes over the last 10-15 years. My "new" bikes tend to be 20-25 years old, most of them acquired in the last 5-10 years with period components, stock and/or built-up. I keep going back in time, now working on a couple 1930's bikes.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

Moved post to new thread: "Colnago CLX, unknown year"

Attached Files Image(s)

Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread