Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

What brake levers to buy for dutch bike to replace plastic ones
I have to change my plastic brake levers in this bike.[attachment=4514]
They are not good, brake cable keeps popping out randomly which is dangerous. I would like to get an alloy ones but don’t know what size/ type/model I need and what keyword to use to find them .They are many on ebay and I don’t know what are suitable for this dutch bike. I have low budget for these.Please help me.[attachment=4515][attachment=4516]
I like: Tektro Eclipse MT 2.1 MTB Universal Brake Lever Set which work with all kinds of brakes, and have adjustable travel stops. I have them on two of my bikes, one with dual pivot side pulls and the other with V-brakes. They are also on the B&W GT project bike that a young friend built up learning bike mechanics. The B&W GT has a V-brake on the front and a U-brake on the rear; this set provided matching levers even though the two kinds of brakes have different pull ratios.
Nigel
Velo-orange has a nice set that is very inexpensive, decent quality, and will suit the look of your bike.
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/city-bike-brakes-levers.html
I believe that you want the 22.2 clamp diameter which is standard for "upright" handlebars.
In general, you want levers suited for caliper or cantilever brakes. You don't want ones made for v-brakes exclusively. The ones nfmisso suggests above are adjustable to work with all three kinds.
(10-03-2013, 01:20 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Velo-orange has a nice set that is very inexpensive, decent quality, and will suit the look of your bike.
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/city-bike-brakes-levers.html
I believe that you want the 22.2 clamp diameter which is standard for "upright" handlebars.
In general, you want levers suited for caliper or cantilever brakes. You don't want ones made for v-brakes exclusively. The ones nfmisso suggests above are adjustable to work with all three kinds.

Thanks for your replies.I followed your suggestions and I found similar ones on the ebay Uk(I live in London):[attachment=4517]

So once again, will this be ok for my bike? -sorry to be a pain. im completely newbie.Thanks
they will work.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Bill