Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Feeling the chain through the pedals
I've got a restored Schwinn Jaguar that's in really great condition. I've been riding many years and I don't remember having an experience were I can feel the chain going over each of the teeth on the chainring as I pedal. I almost feels like it is only part of the way around the chainring. The chain is in good condition and as far as I can tell the chainring is also. The rear hub is adjusted so that the chain has about 1/2" of play. This is a 3 speed bike and it shift just fine through the gears.

Any ideas?

[Image: 002.jpg]
looks can deceive, what you describe sounds like a chain that is stretched or incompatible. even if it looks good I would check there first. what a beautiful bike you have ! very cool
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
when was the last time you measured or replaced the chain?
Nigel
(08-21-2012, 09:14 PM)painkiller Wrote:  looks can deceive, what you describe sounds like a chain that is stretched or incompatible. even if it looks good I would check there first.
As far as I know this was the original chain. This bike had very little use. Generally it's fairly easy to spot a stretched chain but I'm not an expert so I may be overlooking something. I will look into it a little closer with your advice.

Thanks,

(08-21-2012, 11:45 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  when was the last time you measured or replaced the chain?

All of the mechanical parts are used but original and have been re-furbished. The suggestion that the chain is stretched or possibly not the correct chain as painkiller suggested may be the right answer. I will just need to look into it a little further. I don't know why I didn't consider the possibility that the chain could be stretched before because it appeared to be in good condition.

It's always a good idea to get input from others on an issue like this.

Thanks,
Well, since we are talking about quite a small amount of wear (1/8 of an inch "stretch" over 12 inches, that is a stretch of 1 part in 144): this is impossible to judge by eye. If wear is visible on sprockets or chain rings, chain "stretch" is already really bad and everything needs to be replaced.

Nice bike, btw.
I took a couple pictures. Does the chain look like it could be stretched a little?

[Image: 002.jpg]
[Image: 001-2.jpg]
The sprocket does look worn to me, as does the chain ring. Regarding the chain, as I said: you cannot judge this from looking at the chain. You need to actually measure it: use an inch ruler and measure over 12 full chain links. I guess that it will be 12 1/8 inch long... at least
Just wanted to say very nice ride Big Grin!!!!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
"Does the chain look like it could be stretched...? "

YES
Nigel
The chain is definitely stretched. You can tell by the way that it no longer lines up with the teeth on the chainring and doesn't sit naturally at the bottom or each tooth cut out.
Yep 10-4 to what was said and to Dave M note about not sitting properly on chain ring. The sprocket is worn but its too nice to replace. The valleys are a bit deep but the points not sharp yet.
BTW the chain is measured rivet to rivet center 12" in 12 links. However we know its stretched.
Very nice bike........
Never Give Up!!!
(08-22-2012, 09:12 AM)Bill Wrote:  Just wanted to say very nice ride Big Grin!!!!

Thanks Bill. I'm very proud of this bike. I can't take the credit for the restoration. It was done by Samuel Adams of Goshen, Indiana. All of the parts are original Schwinn Jaguar parts. No reproduction parts on this bike.

Since it will so the most difficult to find a chain-ring that's not worn any more than this one, I think I should start with a new chain and then maybe a Sturmey Archer rear sprocket. The chain measures rivet to rivet centers almost 13 links in 12 inches.

Thanks for all the help guys.
"The chain measures rivet to rivet centers almost 13 links in 12 inches."

That does not make sense, that would mean your chain shrunk. Could be an unusual chain size or mis counted links.
Never Give Up!!!
Do you mean 12 links in 13 inches? Or do you mean including the "zeroth" rivet where you start measuring it is 13 rivets? I als prefer measuring from start of an outside link, much better defined than eyeballing the centre of a link (though today I have a Rohloff Caliber to measure chain wear). The chain stretch is (as remarked above) relatively small, in the order of 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch over 12 full links (in your case probably more like 1/8 or more, judging from the look of the parts), so you have to measure very carefully.

Also note that the chain ring is quite worn. Putting a new chain + rear sprocket on the bike could result in a skipping chain. Then (unless you can find a NOS=new old stock Schwinn Jaguar chain ring, maybe contact the guy who did the restoration?) your options are: getting a reproduction chain ring, a different chain ring or leaving the system as it is. All of those are... not good. You need to pick the one you are least uncomfortable with.
But you can try replacing the chain first (and probably the rear sprocket) and see how this works out.
(08-24-2012, 04:27 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Putting a new chain + rear sprocket on the bike could result in a skipping chain.

You can't really get a skipping chain on a single speed like this. The chain is tensioned both above and below so it can't ride up over the teeth the way it can on a derailleur drive train.

Putting a new chain onto old cogs and chainwheels will wear the chain faster and he'll probably still get some of that "chain through the pedals" feeling since the new chain won't line up with the cog teeth perfectly.

Your not wrong that the cogs are worn. But I just don't think it's right to imply that the bike won't function unless he starts replacing cogs and chainrings as well. I'll bet just a new chain will solve most of the problem and it'll ride fine. Of course, depends on what the OP's ultimate goal is...rideable or full restoration.
Hmm 13 "rivets" in 12 inches? I think that is possibly what he is saying?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(08-24-2012, 12:23 PM)DaveM Wrote:  You can't really get a skipping chain on a single speed like this. The chain is tensioned both above and below so it can't ride up over the teeth the way it can on a derailleur drive train.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have not thought about that, most of my bikes do have dérailleurs. I had some issues with a skipping chain on a three speed, but it was probably set up wrong (taking your comment into account).
I was not advertising "replace all" (well, at least it was not my intention, English is not my first language), but rather trying to warn the OP of problems that I encountered on some bikes before. Sorry for the mess I might have caused.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Alex Ramon