Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Diamondback Outlook
Hey all this is in reply to me saying something on Robar's post. This is a Diamondback Outlook. Reason I really like this bike it is super light, rolls with almost no resistance, something I am just not used for a MTB!!! In the first picture you will see my bike riding partner getting ansy wanting to go for a ride hahahaha, good ole Zadey!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Bill. Your photography skills are awesome. Zadey looks Black Lab?? We need more pic!

Oh.. and the bike. I like Diamondback. I pushed them for almost 10 years and still ride one.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Well I think I could start a new category "Bike Pets"! Lol Ill start more on pics on Zadey. Yes she is black lab and well trained to run beside stop when I do and actually resists the urge to not ran after other dogs and cats. Believe that was not am easy task to stop!

Yea I have to find replacement arms for the front because the little peg that goes in the hole of the boss is broke. Any suggestions?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Bill, go to an auto parts store and get a blind nut. You will need to make the hole large enough to have the blind nut fit into the hole. Then find a spacer that is the thickness of the broken peg that holds the brakes to the fork. If you aren't familiar with a blind nut, they are metal and look and work similar to a pop-rivet, without the stem. The blind nut has a threaded ferrel inside and when you tighten the screw, the ferrel moves upward causing the housing of the blind nut to bulge and tighten against the inside while a flange holds it on the outside. I use them on my show car and anything else where they are needed.

The nice thing is that you can remove the screw and the blind nut will not come out. They come in all different thread sizes and the auto store may sell them with a different name, so you may have to explain what you want. Home Depot sells them but their outer body is made of rubber with a brass ferrel inside. I use those to hold my license tags on the cars because they don't rust.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(04-10-2011, 09:36 AM)Bill Wrote:  Hey all this is in reply to me saying something on Robar's post. This is a Diamondback Outlook. Reason I really like this bike it is super light, rolls with almost no resistance, something I am just not used for a MTB!!! In the first picture you will see my bike riding partner getting ansy wanting to go for a ride hahahaha, good ole Zadey!

do you think my yorky will cut down on my rolling resistance?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(04-10-2011, 08:08 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(04-10-2011, 09:36 AM)Bill Wrote:  Hey all this is in reply to me saying something on Robar's post. This is a Diamondback Outlook. Reason I really like this bike it is super light, rolls with almost no resistance, something I am just not used for a MTB!!! In the first picture you will see my bike riding partner getting ansy wanting to go for a ride hahahaha, good ole Zadey!

do you think my yorky will cut down on my rolling resistance?

Never thought about that Big Grin hahahaha! But yea if they wanna pull they will! Just make sure you check your brakes BEFORE you head out! If you are a Roadie then I suggest getting a Grey Hound for fast speeds Wink lol!
(04-10-2011, 07:52 PM)JohnV Wrote:  Bill, go to an auto parts store and get a blind nut. You will need to make the hole large enough to have the blind nut fit into the hole. Then find a spacer that is the thickness of the broken peg that holds the brakes to the fork. If you aren't familiar with a blind nut, they are metal and look and work similar to a pop-rivet, without the stem. The blind nut has a threaded ferrel inside and when you tighten the screw, the ferrel moves upward causing the housing of the blind nut to bulge and tighten against the inside while a flange holds it on the outside. I use them on my show car and anything else where they are needed.

The nice thing is that you can remove the screw and the blind nut will not come out. They come in all different thread sizes and the auto store may sell them with a different name, so you may have to explain what you want. Home Depot sells them but their outer body is made of rubber with a brass ferrel inside. I use those to hold my license tags on the cars because they don't rust.

John I will take a couple pics of it taken off from the boss amd also of the boss. I do have a drill and bits that I could maybe bore out the hole enough for the blind nut. I will wait until I get the pics posted and we can go from there.
Bill, nice looking bike! What years did they make those?

BTW, I just noticed your new ranking, "Veteran Member." I bet you are the only one here with that distinction. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Bill,

This is what you will be looking for. I took it with my cell phone which doesn't have a very good macro option but you get the general idea of what a blind nut looks like. This one is for a 8x32 screw and is one of the rubber ones that I mentioned. You will need the type made of metal, but they both work alike. You can see the threaded ferrel at the end that goes into the hole and flange on the other end.

[attachment=2135]
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
ok I am gonna post a few pics and you can re use them as you need for this post. Like edit them and stuff.
Here are the pictures so bear with me.
Ok I did find out these are Promax TX117 Alloy V-brakes but I am not getting any luck on find a replacement. Any help anyone?
UPDATE: I did find out that all boss posts are one standard size in diameter!
Bill, it's hard to tell by those pics but - the part that you're missing, is it a small pin that goes into one of three holes at the base of the boss to the inside of the legs?
Yes that's the one sorry for the crappy pics my phone's camera lens is dirty. But yes that the one.
Sorry Bill but, you can't replace that part. That whole brake (both arms) can be replaced for less than $20.
Yea I kinda figured that but john's idea may come in handy in the future for a quick fix!
Wow haven't updated this one in a while! Anyways I replaced the arms as you suggested. I really love this bike even though it is a "girls" bike. Now for the getter. My new son Mason tags along with us on this very bike!!! I installed a baby seat on it which he is quite happy and content with.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Bill