Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Assembling Bike - What Are These Spare Parts?
Hey everyone,

I just bought my first road bike (Jamis Sputnik 2010) online and it came with a few spare parts. Any help on where these things belong would be greatly appreciated. Thanks![attachment=1881][attachment=1881]
Edgar, they look suspiciously like parts to mount a chainguard.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
I tend to agree. Is there a chain guard included in the box? In any case, it's a mounting bracket and unless you are going to mount whatever it supports, I wouldn't think they are needed.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Thanks guys!!! You're absolutely right, it's for the chainguard which is a flimsy plastic thing that I overlooked when I opened the box. Only problem now is that I can't seem to loosen the pedal mounts to install it; the mounts are screwed in extremely tight. This may be a job for the local bike shop.

Either way I'm psyched to try the bike out especially now that I know the extra parts weren't anything critical.

Cheers!
Ride the bike and enjoy. I haven't seen any road bikes with conventional chain guards on them, plastic or otherwise, but I am looking for a guard for my large chain ring so my legs don't get full of grease. Not having much luck there.
HCFR Cycling Team
JV. Me thinks Ed is one of us. You think? I checked his bike, man. It's a Fixie - not like ours with 2.7K gears. He may be of use.

Ohh... Hello, Edgar - I just checked out the Sputnik. That is 46 x 16? High Speed!!!

Edit - What are "pedal mounts" ? Crank Arms that the pedals screw into? Did you take her for a spin, yet? Got a Ride Report??
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Rob,

You're right... it is a Fixie and a very nice one at that. I like the white one over the orange or black. I remember back when all bikes were fixies, regardless of what they were used for. My very first bike was a hand-me-down Western Flyer from Western Auto (you may remember that far back). It was actually a military tank disguised as a bicycle. It took three of us to pick it up. Smile

Edgar,

All kidding aside, very nice ride. Have you posted it in the "Show Off Your Bike" forum? And yes, update us with a ride report. As for a full chain guard on a road bike, ehhhhh! But it's your choice.
HCFR Cycling Team
(02-04-2011, 09:23 PM)JohnV Wrote:  Ride the bike and enjoy. I haven't seen any road bikes with conventional chain guards on them, plastic or otherwise, but I am looking for a guard for my large chain ring so my legs don't get full of grease. Not having much luck there.

Hi John;

I just ordered one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220761142130
After I get it; I'll let you know what I think.
Nigel
Please do! I have been looking all over the place for one to fit my Tiagra crank. They don't list them in my LBS suppliers book and everyone tells me they are not available for road bikes.
HCFR Cycling Team
Yup definitely chain guard! Ordered a couple chain guards from an Amazon store, both disappointing BUT it was my fault. Buy cheap, get cheap.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Looked at the chain ring guards on this link and they are exactly what I am looking for but they are for 53 tooth rings. I have a 50 tooth outer chain ring and I'm wondering if this company makes one for it or if the 53 tooth guard will fit the 50 tooth crank bolt pattern for a Shimano Tiagra crankset? My problem is that all the ones I have seen are not for 50 tooth rings and I hate to buy one that is close only to find that the crank bolt pattern doesn't line up.
HCFR Cycling Team
Hi John;

That seller lists a bunch of sizes:
http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=chain+guard&_sacat=382&_dmpt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&_ssn=ebike.ltd&_odkw=&_osacat=382&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Different diameters, and BCDs. What is the BCD of your crankset?

i'll be back from China this weekend, and start a new thread after I get back. My wife said it arrived.
Nigel
Take some pics of bicycle culture and post if you don't mind please?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Nigel,

Thanks for the link. I found that they do have one to fit the Shimano Tiagra triple (50T 130 BCD). I will order them when I get home tonight and put them on the bike as this now answers one of my previous threads.
HCFR Cycling Team

Possibly Related Threads...