Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Starter 29er from Wal-Mart
ok... wearing my flame proof suit, but this is what I just bought a few days ago to get back into riding. I live in Florida and it is FLAT here so not much off road or trails and wasn't thinking of anything really strenuous on this.. but for $200 sounded like a bargain and it gets me on a bike again after 20 years.

[attachment=1305]
(07-29-2010, 01:02 PM)Ramzious Wrote:  ok...wearing my flame proof suit, but this is what I just bought a few days ago to get back into riding. I live in Florida and it is FLAT here so not much off road or trails and wasn't thinking of anything really strenuous on this..but for $200 sounded like a bargain and it gets me on a bike again after 20 years.

Have fun!!
NIce Bike I like the color Enjoy And Ride Safe
ok... Flames not too high... much better than at another MTB site I posted at. Thanks for the warm welcome.
Nice bike Ramzious! I've been curious about 29ers. Pompano Beach, man it's been about 45 years since I've been there, actually stayed in Ft. Lauderdale at the time. I was just a kid. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
(07-29-2010, 05:04 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  Nice bike Ramzious! I've been curious about 29ers. Pompano Beach, man it's been about 45 years since I've been there, actually stayed in Ft. Lauderdale at the time. I was just a kid. Smile

Steve

Small world. I was born in KC area and spent 1st 4 years of life in Independence. Grew up on east side of state near StL though.
Did you end up getting this bike? I say go for it, if it gets you riding then thats great. If it turns out that you love riding, then you'll eventually upgrade years down the road.
(07-29-2010, 04:52 PM)Ramzious Wrote:  ok... Flames not too high... much better than at another MTB site I posted at. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Which MTB site was that? Smile
Ye, its amazing they can ship and sell the bike for that. Looks good. May need some set up tlc eventually. Lots of videos on this site in repair guide on top.

I have seen some $80 Roadmasters that looked Ok too. Of course there is a difference. But any bike is better than none. :-))

My first bike was a 10 Speed Czech Made Favorite, for $25 at Strauss Stores in Hoboken NJ. I rode it in the parks like a mountain bike with my buddies. Charging up and down hills. In those days it was allowed.
Never Give Up!!!
Any bike you get from a big box store should be Tuned immediately. The people that put the bikes together are the same people that assemble the patio furniture. I would make sure everything works correctly before you take it out on the trails. Then ride the crap out of it!
(08-07-2010, 02:49 PM)xerxes Wrote:  
(07-29-2010, 04:52 PM)Ramzious Wrote:  ok... Flames not too high... much better than at another MTB site I posted at. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Which MTB site was that? Smile

MTBR-forums
(08-07-2010, 03:36 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  Any bike you get from a big box store should be Tuned immediately. The people that put the bikes together are the same people that assemble the patio furniture. I would make sure everything works correctly before you take it out on the trails. Then ride the crap out of it!

I assembled it myself as there was not room in the MiniVan with the wife and kids for the assembled bike and had not bought the bike carrier (yet). Brought it home in the box and put it together in the living room, checked all the pre assembled parts out as well. Have riddden it several time and in fact got first flat today. The LBS says it's not bad for what it is, except for the forks. Will ride it till it falls apart then get something better.
All that matters is that your riding.
Nice bicycle I don't care what some people think about store bought bicycle I still say if you put it together your self and check the true of the wheels you will have a nice bicycle to ride for a long time. I got my grandson a bicycle from wal mart and put it together for him and he has a well built bicycle that did not cost me a arm and a leg. If you need help on truing the wheels there is a video out here that can get you started it's very easy to do.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Surly I will go along with you but will add, I would take them down completely and regrease everything myself and torque things properly. Axles would be replaced with better steel. Few other things too but this is not my thread lol.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Awesome, you built it yourself, then you're ready to roll. And you said it best. Ride that fork until it gives you problems. It might never.
(08-07-2010, 03:36 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  Any bike you get from a big box store should be Tuned immediately. The people that put the bikes together are the same people that assemble the patio furniture. I would make sure everything works correctly before you take it out on the trails. Then ride the crap out of it!

Yes, at Walmart, the employees known as 'assemblers' do all sorts of assembly, from bikes to furniture to grills to what not. And I know because I am one these days--and thankfully so, actually, as I need the work and enjoy it. I started in toys and have gravitated to assembly and that is what brings me to this fabulous site and motivates me to spend about 90 minutes a day with manuals and magazines--when I push a bike out to the rack, I want to do so with my head held high, being proud of the set-up and confident that it will be a good mount for its rider. Nevertheless, I, too, would recommend that anyone who has purchased a bike from Walmart or Target or wherever go over it with a set of wrenches--are the wheels true and brakes properly adjusted, in particular--or take it to a local shop and pay them for a set-up/tune-up. And as an aside, I will say that I am amazed and delighted to see so many folks buying bicycles these days and that includes a lot of older people who just want to get back out there and get the blood pumping again. And I really enjoy their stories. One elderly farmer just bought a 26-inch ladies cruiser and said, "You know, these bikes are good for teaching boys how to ride." And I replied, "Sir, you are correct. I was a five-year-old in a trailer park in Colinga, California in 1965 when my little buddies pushed me on a full-sized ladies bike and I warbled around a bit but I got it up to speed and that was the first time I ever rode a bike. Never forgot it." And I smile when I see skid marks on the linoleum by the bike rack. Maybe the kids are alright Smile
That's awesome. I'm glad you know what your doing. I shouldn't assume that all assemblers put the bikes together wrong. But I'm sure you do it better than most.
Ramzious,
Have you upgraded any parts yet on your bike? I am wondering which parts to upgrade first.
(09-18-2010, 08:17 PM)FLMTBer Wrote:  Ramzious,
Have you upgraded any parts yet on your bike? I am wondering which parts to upgrade first.

Pedals-odyssey plastic with more "bite" to them for regular shoes

Seatpost- needed longer and stronger plus microadjust

Saddle- stock wasn't cuttin' it, but what I bought isn't either...

Bottle holder- needed one

Lights- Zefal battery op set front and back removeable.
Ye 10-4 on the Saddle, IMO thats the first thing to upgrade. Only took me ten years to finally get a good saddle. Now I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Nashbar saddles especially on sale are good if you get the right one for you. I got the TFX for my road bike and a Terry liberator Y with leather top for my MB. The liberator is great. Set it right!

Another great sale!

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_200413_-1_200276_200321
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Painkiller

01-09-2012, 06:21 PM