Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

2016 Giant Escape3 How to upgrade
The Giant Escape line of bikes has been around a few years now. With Giant the higher number the lower grade is in the lineup. Enter the Giant escape 3. 700c what I would call a sport fitness style hybrid bicycle. very popular for the masses from fitness to pleasure on pathways and light trails. I picked this up the other day becuase the price was right and purchased more than one bike for $150us. Not being able to pinpoint the exact year of this bike i do know from frame style it is 2016 or a couple years newer. I am not a big fan of the bang for the buck of newer entry to mid level bicycles nowadays but sooner or later bike guys like myself still have to deal with more modern fair from time to time.
What remains the same is new or old to me the better value is in finding a lightly used, used bike and refurbishing and upgrading a solid platform of a used bike. Like many other brands the Escape lineup has changed very little over the components the bike has and only the price of the bike new has gone up as much as 25% or more. So finding an older model and upgrading it has always made the most sense to me as far as value and many times coming in much cheaper than a new model plus mush better components and even add ons.
What I did not like about the bike was the components selection i.e. The Tourny line up from Shimano, Especially for the sticker $560 plus tax for a new one with the same equipment, the other was how Giant decided to run the cables and housing, housing running the length of the frame where ever it needed to go. What were they thinking of on that one? The came in @ 29lbs 14oz with a greenfield kickstand when i brought it home. I have steel bikes withe front shocks coming in lighter than than that.
The frame its self is pretty nice overall, slender and sleek looking except for all the cable housing and the tourney rear derailluer to bulk it up. So I took it upon myself to and ask, Can one take an entry level fitness bike and make it not only perform better, but look better and come in on the scales a tad lighter, plus come in at much lower in priceing compared to the newest model today.
Of my answer is yes, I believe I can, all the way down to the pedals. The upgrades will include; Pedals, lock-on grips, barends, F/R derailluers, Chain, Avid single digit5 V-brakes, Avid brake levers and a new revised cable/housing solution to full housing runs. With a target of $450us
Like the Gt Tachyon line The escape is a great platform to build up off of and for this Escape 3 it will be about as good as it can get and still be a practical upgrade and price range

Still waiting on some bits and pieces to come in so I can finish the build. I thought for fun i would measure just how much housing was used by Giant for this bike and WOW! a staggering 14ft of housing. I cannot remember the last time i used that much housing on a upper end Brand bike. I hope my idea of modifying this Escape will trim some of that fat down where it should be. The rims used are very nice at most any price range. Not a fan of the ef line of combo shift/levers so i decided to go with pods and the upper end Avid treatment for the brakes. Having the shifters and the brake levers separate makes the postioning more customizable. The New rear Derailluer looks much more sleek than the the Tourney did for sure, and the Avid Single Digit 5 brakes are much wanted improvement over the no name v's that came on it from the factory. The stock crank is straight and true without runout, so it will stay, Plus the bike has had very little use or wear.

Attached Files Image(s)

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
My double stop is installed, single hole mount, had to modify it a bit for fit up, glad it had a boss in the frame to bolt to. All said I was able to reduce the cable housing by half, a tad over 7ft total. added a standard double guide under the BB shell. Much cleaner and lighter setup, highly recommend this change if you happen to own one of these Escapes.

Attached Files Image(s)

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
The Escape is coming along nicely. Just like all the builds/Mods that I do, I keep a couple things in mind. Starting with a vision of the finished bike. Always keeping in mind no matter the changes I make, they should be equal to or better than original. Balance and symmetry in colors, finishes and components will create the illusion of this is how the bike has always been and should have been fresh out of the bike. It will automatically please the eye. With this bike visioned sleek, from the matte finish with black accents it was easy to keep the flow. All the bike needed was streamlined, hench the cable run change, the derailluer swap, barends, wheel skewers, and ultra smooth bearing alloy platform pedals, which all add to better performance and weight reduction.
Like many of the bicycles I refurb, many are done to be sold. I always do a bicycle with the thought of how it should be done for me as if I am keeping the bike for myself to enjoy for many years.
I want a solid performer, I want a decent price and the best bang for the buck when ever I can, just like anyone else. Did I have to replace some of the things I did? Nope. But My competition Is someone elses stock used bike or a reason to buy mine vs a new version of the same model. Plus I like to sell the best version that a bike can be. So tossing the entry level skewers, resin pedals, bulky derailluers, cable housing, etc.. all to add to the list of New vs used components that help it all come together as a sleeker better version of its self is perfectly fine with me. Resulting in a bicycle that most anyone would love to own, including myself. Now for my pedals and grips to show up and do the finishing touches to this beauty and get her posted.

Attached Files Image(s)

The build is done and now the verdict. Is it a worth while endeavor or is it better to buy a new replacement. In my honest opinion, take what you have and knock it out of the box and you will have a much nicer ride for the money than buying a new model for more money with lesser equipment. One plus is being your own wrench but in this case if you were not and had a shop do what you wanted down it would have been in the $400 range. Still not bad for a quality ride. If you did the work yourself it would have been closer to $250. This bike is a keeper and a real performer for this price class by far.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello Painkiller, you got this Giant and more for USD150. WOW, a great deal for a Giant. And, it seems to be in pretty good shape.

Please keep the series going and I would love to see what this bike transforms into.

(01-26-2024, 01:49 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  The Giant Escape line of bikes has been around a few years now. With Giant the higher number the lower grade is in the lineup. Enter the Giant escape 3. 700c what I would call a sport fitness style hybrid bicycle. very popular for the masses from fitness to pleasure on pathways and light trails. I picked this up the other day becuase the price was right and purchased more than one bike for $150us. Not being able to pinpoint the exact year of this bike i do know from frame style it is 2016 or a couple years newer. I am not a big fan of the bang for the buck of newer entry to mid level bicycles nowadays but sooner or later bike guys like myself still have to deal with more modern fair from time to time.
What remains the same is new or old to me the better value is in finding a lightly used, used bike and refurbishing and upgrading a solid platform of a used bike. Like many other brands the Escape lineup has changed very little over the components the bike has and only the price of the bike new has gone up as much as 25% or more. So finding an older model and upgrading it has always made the most sense to me as far as value and many times coming in much cheaper than a new model plus mush better components and even add ons.
What I did not like about the bike was the components selection i.e. The Tourny line up from Shimano, Especially for the sticker $560 plus tax for a new one with the same equipment, the other was how Giant decided to run the cables and housing, housing running the length of the frame where ever it needed to go. What were they thinking of on that one? The came in @ 29lbs 14oz with a greenfield kickstand when i brought it home. I have steel bikes withe front shocks coming in lighter than than that.
The frame its self is pretty nice overall, slender and sleek looking except for all the cable housing and the tourney rear derailluer to bulk it up. So I took it upon myself to and ask, Can one take an entry level fitness bike and make it not only perform better, but look better and come in on the scales a tad lighter, plus come in at much lower in priceing compared to the newest model today.
Of my answer is yes, I believe I can, all the way down to the pedals. The upgrades will include; Pedals, lock-on grips, barends, F/R derailluers, Chain, Avid single digit5 V-brakes, Avid brake levers and a new revised cable/housing solution to full housing runs. With a target of $450us
Like the Gt Tachyon line The escape is a great platform to build up off of and for this Escape 3 it will be about as good as it can get and still be a practical upgrade and price range

Still waiting on some bits and pieces to come in so I can finish the build. I thought for fun i would measure just how much housing was used by Giant for this bike and WOW! a staggering 14ft of housing. I cannot remember the last time i used that much housing on a upper end Brand bike. I hope my idea of modifying this Escape will trim some of that fat down where it should be. The rims used are very nice at most any price range. Not a fan of the ef line of combo shift/levers so i decided to go with pods and the upper end Avid treatment for the brakes. Having the shifters and the brake levers separate makes the postioning more customizable. The New rear Derailluer looks much more sleek than the the Tourney did for sure, and the Avid Single Digit 5 brakes are much wanted improvement over the no name v's that came on it from the factory. The stock crank is straight and true without runout, so it will stay, Plus the bike has had very little use or wear.
GirishH This is the other bike I obtained in the $150 deal, I upgraded and spruced this one up, using some of the parts from the Giant like pedals and v-brakes. I put new shifters, lock-on ergo grips, tubes/tires, Avid levers, chain, rear cassette, all cables/housing

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice work, Painkiller!

I have a 2014 Ridgeback flight 01, which is very similar to this Giant, apart from having disc brakes. Picked that up for £110 a few years ago. Since then, I've given it bigger tires, a Topeak rack, and new tubes, chain, front disc, and pads.
(02-06-2024, 03:26 PM)enkei Wrote:  Nice work, Painkiller!

I have a 2014 Ridgeback flight 01, which is very similar to this Giant, apart from having disc brakes. Picked that up for £110 a few years ago. Since then, I've given it bigger tires, a Topeak rack, and new tubes, chain, front disc, and pads.
sounds nice, I love my Gt Yachyon that I had upgraded to suit me, much lighter than this Giant which I bought purely to flip. Being an old school rigid mtb rider I love me a nice sport Hybrid in my older years

Attached Files Image(s)